• Thread starter Thread starter oldtimer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 9,620

oldtimer

Geriatrix
ISP
bsnl 256kbps home 250 plan
Has anyone tried installing BSNL 3G Teracom USB datacard with UBUNTU? I feel that the installation help document is ok but it is not complete.I myself had to go through a long Home-Work process to install it in Ubuntu 8.04! The installation has to be done manually by running a shell-script and I found the whole business of Sudo, BASH and root privileges rather confusing. If anybody can post detailed instructions here, I think it would help me find out what I had been doing wrong and it would also help potential Linux users in installing it easily and systematically!!

Well, to make a beginning: 1. I followed the instructions in the installation guide. However "double-click" install.sh didn't work. it asked for root privileges.2. Sudo also didn't work.. ( My INR 0.02 worth: I think it does not allow the commands in the script file to inherit root privileges - maybe there is a solution for this, but it wasn't documented in the installer help))3. I had to log in as super-user with SU. Then everything went through till the end. 4. Unlike the windows installation, the linux version needs the APN to be entered manually. It is gprssouth.cellone.in. for my region (check out yours). After this, the card worked perfectly. note: 1. whenever you insert the card, the drive in the card will get mounted. You may want to eject it. 2. Unlike in windows, the user-interface software does not pop-up automatically by default. It has to be run from the applications menu. Any easier way of doing this, linux masters? :bowtoyou:

Hi Oldtimer, I'm having some trouble with my BSNL 3G data card, in the sense that linux mint 9 does not seem to recognise it. Everywhere I read I hear that as soon as you plug in your device the linux will identify it, in fact the installation guide too gives the same info, but I do not get any such file on the desktop. Can you please tell me how to obtain the installation file. I would greatly appreciate the help.Regards,Rex

Sorry, have been away from my terminal for some long stretches - could not catch up earlier. If you have a stomach for techie stuff (and i presume you do because you have ventured into the Linux domain), I will add another INR 0.02 worth of stuff:From what I have understood, when you first plug it in, the device acts like a simple USB pen-drive. It has Autoplay configured for windows, and so starts off its own installation setup. Once the drivers and software etc. are installed in windows, it configures a "daemon" like software to run in the background to start at every bootup. This always remains resident and waits for you to plug in your device afterwards. This also seems to mask the files on the usb card thereafter presumably because you don't want autoplay and setup running every time you plug in the device - so much so that you can't see the files even though they are there. ..... and the story goes on. In My Ubuntu install, I see it first as a pen-drive containing the entire setup folder, with the the Linux and windows files. I used these as I mentioned in my post above. So if the files on your card-archive are corrupted, then you need a new copy. But first, your USB pen-drive interface in Linux should be working properly. Since you are getting those popup messages, it could be that the pen-drive interface and/or the files themselves are busted. You need to investigate on another classic Ubuntu machine. Good luck. If you need the setup files, maybe you can PM me and perhaps I could tell you what to do. HTH

Hi Oldtimer, I have started another thread to which you have replied, catch you there.Rex Fernando.

Saravana said:
Well, I agree this oldtimer. Even if I give APN manually, when I click on connect, the linux version gives an error message, "Link ppp0 wasn't build properly". Not sure how to build ppp0 link. :wall:

any help please !!

I have successfully configured LW273 (7.2 mbps) datacard in Ubuntu 10.10 by fixing the usb_modeswitch package but I can't say about LW272 (3.6 mbps). But I think, it should work with same method. See my post for more information.

I am in the process to integrate BSNL datacard support in the usb_modeswitch package. I already did this for LW273 model. If any of you provide me some information about LW272 datacard, I will complete the process and upload the fixed ubuntu package.

Just attach the output of the following command (from terminal)

$ lsusb -v > ~/Desktop/lsusb.txt

Do it fast so that, I can publish it ASAP.

Thanks

Hi All

I have tried my BSNL 3G Teracom USB Data Card on Fedora 13. It is working well.
Here is my /etc/wvdial.conf

[Dialer Defaults]
Phone = *99#
Username = null
Password = null
Stupid Mode = 1
Dial Command = ATDT
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB3
Baud = 115200
Init = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Auto Reconnect = off
Check DNS = off
Dial Attempts = 1
Modem Type = Analog Modem

This is done by the software(Join_Air) along with this Data Card.

The interesting thing is that it is working on Latest Fedora 14.
It is giving an error that Link ppp0 wasn't build.

I have tried oon UBUNTU 10.10 also but when I try to extract this It is crashed.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Sorry about my previous post.
This Join_Air Software (BSNL 3G Data Card) not working on Fedora 14.
It only work on Fedora 13

Back