• Thread starter Thread starter devx101
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 0
  • Views Views 1,595

devx101

Senior
ISP
LL/cable/3G then bck to EDGE
I have a few tips and suggestions which i would like to share with users regarding torrents.

[*] People usually choose utorrent as their client software or bit torrent. This are very light weight clients but i would recommend using VUZE. It is a better client in terms of features considered and offers a better control over operations.
[/list]

[*] People usually do a mistake when choosing the torrent file. I myself have done it many times. users blatantly choose the file with highest no. of users(seeders/leechers). It is not recommended and one must see the seeders/peers ratio. preferably if possible choose one which has twice or more no. of seeders. Usually old games tend to have this thing. Hence if not urgent wait for the torrent to cool down a little and dwnld after a few weeks or so, of course i agree this id not always feasible.
[/list] i will give an example:- i recently downloaded a game called Microsoft train simulator(yes i am a train maniac too), it had around 100 odd seeders and just 5 peers. That is almost all were seeders. I got extremly high speeds for that game in comp. to others.

[*] if possible go for the iso/exe file and not the rar/zip ones. It only creates more overheads.
[/list]

[*] Every connection gives max. speed at nights. So try to dwnld at night. There is no reason to run your comp. for 20 hrs when the same can be done in 10 hrs(due to high speeds). There is one feature to this though many of us just leave the comp. on at night for dwnld but at the morning we see very low amt. of data being transferred. This is due the following prblm..
[/list]

[*] As i am a BSNL 3G user i am posting in context of it. A problem which 3G users face is the frequent disconnection issue. The speed is very high for the first few minutes then abruptly falls to zero. This sometimes happens after 15-20 minutes even or more. I think this is basically done for throttling purpose and limiting the dwnld.There may be exceptions of course. There is one way of resolving this issue though rather complex but can help.
[/list] You can connect and disconnect automatically after desired intervals of time. This can be done for any desired interval from 5 min to one hour. The way of doing this is as follows.
make two batch files named con and discon.
procedure: open notepad-> type the following lines for con file

@echo off
rasdial

change ur connection name to preferably smaller name like BSNL. This can be done in the network and sharing center.
Save the file not as .txt but all files. A batch file icon should be formed.

the second file 'discon' will have the following text.

@echo off
RasDial /DISCONNECT

Now open Windows task scheduler.go to create new task
chose a name.....define the trigger i.e. a time and date. in the same tab you will find the repeat task interval chose a value (30 min advised).
go to actions choose the "discon" batch file.
That's it,click on ok.:)

Now do the same thing with con file but choose the trigger just 5 or 10 seconds after the discon task, of course with the same repeat interval as the previous task so that both remains in sync.
Basically what it does is that it first disconnects at a specific time then reconnects after 5 or 10 or desired seconds. And this process is repeated after every 30 min(or desired intervals).

At least this will make sure ur connection does not turn inactive after some time. Download a software like DU meter which will give u a track of amt. of downloaded data on an hourly basis.

I hope the info was useful, any correction,suggestions are welcomed.

Back