Able to connect to wireless network but not internet

ashwinkgopal

ISP
BSNL DataOne
Hi all, Would greatly appreciate your assistance here. I've got 3 notebook computers that go online using my common WA3002-g1 IGD on the network. I bought a new Dell Inspiron today but find that I can connect to the wireless network but NOT go online if I use the DHCP option (Automatically retrieve IP address). I'm now online using Manually assigned IP and gateway settings. Please find the following details: All the other 3 notebooks run Windows XP SP3, have been on the network and online without any additional network tweaks. The router is secured using WPA2-AES, MAC address filtering 'Allow' Association with the new Dell MAC address added to the list. The Dell runs Windows Vista Home Basic. The problem is that the Dell DOES connect to the wifi network BUT the IP seems to be auto assigned and the result is that no network traffic is generated. I'm somehow trying to get this to be handled by the router DHCP. Repair options doesn't seem to work. Do I have to tweak Vista's finer networking settings? I'm sure some of you would've had this problem. All pointers are greatly appreciated. Thanks! P.S: IPv6 has been disabled for the wireless adapter.

I'm now online using Manually assigned IP and gateway settings.
confirm LAN mode or WIFI mode.
please post the data

@essbebe, I'm right now using wifi. I've chosen static ip setting just for this machine. The network still runs on DHCP of the router (remaining machines). I've not tried the LAN mode though. @superprash2003, I've set the DHCP range for 4 machines even though there are not more than 2 machines online at any given time. The MAC address for Dell has been rightly provided coz if that wasn't the case, DELL wouldn't even connect to the wifi network. The problem is that this machine decides the IP on its own when I instruct it to get the same from my router. Thanks for ur help guys!

Setting up the wireless router.1.Have You followed Calcutta telephones web site ?2.Did you apply any Hotfix from Microsoft for this router ?3.Do you have Installation CD ?4.As I understand , in Dell Inspiron ( with Vista Home edition ) to work in WIFI mode, in TCP/IP settings page you cannot selectObtain IP address automatically. You give another IP say 192.168.1.45 ( out of range as entered in router) The other 3 systems with XPSP3 connect OK in WIFI.5. Please post the Ipconfig /all data for the Wireless adapter , for Vista loaded DELL Inspiron.Mine is Dell Inspiron 8000. ( Beetel110BX1==>>>>Vonage==>>Netgear614 ==>>WIFI laptop) LAN mode another laptop VAIO Sony XP pro SP3 both. 6. Can you try the LAN port ? same problem ?

essbebe, Thanks for all your help and time. I really don't know what or why but it just seems to work fine now!! I will let you know tomorrow if this is still working or not. Thanks a lot again!! No other settings were changed.

Back