absolutely pathetic packet loss on airtel xstreambroadband

Since last 20 days I am getting packet loss on my airtel xstream broadband located at Bhubaneshwar odisha. the packet loss is come from there server 122.169.35.1 . I had numerous complaints and telephonic conversations with airtel so called backend team but to my surprise they have no idea what is packet loss . Shall I stop using airtel broadbrand . I guess airtel is going down the road of vodafone and idea .

If you believe packet loss is to your first hop, get your layer 1 checked and cold reboot your router.

@Captivating what is the significance of this IP to you?

It pings properly here and the host shows up as abts-mh-dynamic-001.35.169.122.airtelbroadband.in which seems to be based in MH most likely Mumbai. But you're in Odisha.

Are you cable to ping other IPs especially your upstream 1st hop?

@rajat_ it means power off using the power switch and restart also called a hard reboot. A soft reboot is resetting or rebooting from within the UI..for e.g. in Windows clicking the Restart option on the power button. So in short its a hardware (hard)reboot and a software triggered (soft) reboot

Similarly hard reset means pressing the reset button on your device. In short, hard = hardware, soft = software triggered.

PS - in case of routers they advise leaving it powered off for 60-120 seconds before powering up again.

Last edited:
@Lolita_Magnum What is layer 1 check.? I have tried rebooting router and reset , doesnt work ..also i did try to ping my router 192.168.1.1 and there is no packet loss.

@Chip that ip is airtel default gateway i believe .whatever trace router i run like ping tracert google.com or ping tracert facebook.com is goes through that ip 122.169.35.1 and i get packet loss.. and the airtel guys they dont even understand what i am saying. any airtel or any jio senior network engineer here who would like to help please in understanding whats going on .

Which city are you in dude? It helps if you tell us the location. Also, if that is the next hop then you're most likely connecting to a MH server for authentication? In Airtel MH is for Maharashtra the RTO code. If you get no reply from the gateway you need to email 121 and tell them of your problem. Airtel's support is quite shitty so be prepared to wait.

In my traceroute my connection is via Mumbai though I am in Pune - abts-mum-dynamic.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I don't think you should worry about your gateway ping.

If you are facing packet loss on other servers or ips. then share the details. Gateways have the least priority for pings.

@Captivating are you able to access other sites/download without issues? If yes then don't bother about the gateway ping values. I have set pfSense to ping the gateways or remote sites for e.g. google at intervals to check if the connection is down. It helps in fail over/fall back.

Back