Act fibernet is routing 1.1.1.1 to its own servers in Bangalore

• Thread starter Thread starter madh123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 54
  • Views Views 16,744
It is possible that the issue is with Cloudflare. I have seen Cloudflare using pathetic routing policies in other countries where my clients host their sites. However, Cloudflare's support is much more helpful in identifying the routing related issues on their end. When Cloudflare came to India a few years ago, they had one of the worst routing collaboration within India. Most requests would go through Cloudflare Singapore. It was like that for almost a year. Then, things started changing slowly with Airtel's network routing was fixed at first. That said, an ISP has more say on a routing decision at IXP than a third-party such as Cloudflare.

Nothing is perfect on the internet. What requires a good discussion (that can bring solution to an issue) is open-minded people. When someone start bashing from the get-go, when someone uses caps, when someone doesn't admit his / her lack of knowledge by diverting the discussion, you can't expect a healthy discussion.

As an off-topic, I think we need a better forum software such as discourse forum where we can create new threads when a topic goes off-topic and hide discussions that are not worthy, etc. Some threads are polluted with more off-topic discussions than on-topic. Those who visit such threads for the first time, they tend to think wtf.

I come less often these days and join in much lesser conversations due to the aformentioned two issues (no healthy discussions, no way to create a new thread/s when a topic goes off-topic such as right now with this entry).

Clearly it shows routing issue is present with ACT as it instead of passing traffic to cloudflare Indian AS number it is passing it to AS 0 which does not exist. Even if you are using DOH I think if it is routing issue DOH does not address it.
try changing your router from
PPPOE mode to DHCP mode
and use portal.actcorp.in
and login that way
then try your test and tell me what is the result

This is Hotstar's CDN

ID: 7Z9G9B
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2019 18:07:02 UTC
DNS IP: 172.68.166.197 (US) (AS0 Unknown)
Client IP: 106.51.29.89 (IN) (AS24309 Atria Convergence Technologies Pvt. Ltd. Broadband Internet Service Provider INDIA)
Protocol: HTTP/1.1
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/72.0.3626.109 Safari/537.36
Cookies: yes
Dont understand why its not ACT causing issues here as some members are saying its cloudflare fault

I'm also an ACT consumer and somewhat nerdy, so I'm trying to help by pointing fingers - the least I could do.

Clearly it shows routing issue is present with ACT as it instead of passing traffic to cloudflare Indian AS number it is passing it to AS 0 which does not exist. Even if you are using DOH I think if it is routing issue DOH does not address it.

172.68.166.197 is from Cloudflare and is located within India. I don't know why AS is not detected though.

It is possible that the issue is with Cloudflare. I have seen Cloudflare using pathetic routing policies in other countries where my clients host their sites. However, Cloudflare's support is much more helpful in identifying the routing related issues on their end. When Cloudflare came to India a few years ago, they had one of the worst routing collaboration within India. Most requests would go through Cloudflare Singapore. It was like that for almost a year. Then, things started changing slowly with Airtel's network routing was fixed at first. That said, an ISP has more say on a routing decision at IXP than a third-party such as Cloudflare.

Agree :)

Nothing is perfect on the internet. What requires a good discussion (that can bring solution to an issue) is open-minded people. When someone start bashing from the get-go, when someone uses caps, when someone doesn't admit his / her lack of knowledge by diverting the discussion, you can't expect a healthy discussion.

My apologies if my use of caps (however lightly) kinda offended you, it was not my intention and I've tried very hard to stay at topic because I'm looking at this objectively without blaming ACT without some concrete evidence. The least I could do is investigate it somewhat as I also have the connection and also am concerned about my privacy. (y)

DNS and http/s are run on different ports. It is possible to firewall only DNS and let http/s to pass through.

Turns out there is a way to check in CF's case - although it's futile until maybe the ISP tries to mimic entire NS records to appear non malicious. With encrypted DNS it would be much easier to feel safer, I could temporarily make sure it's not getting tampered with for myself :

Code:
nslookup -vc -class=chaos -type=txt id.server 1.1.1.1
Server:  one.one.one.one
Address:  1.1.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
id.server text ="HYD"

If it is cloudflare then is it possible for someone from this forum to respond to my thread on cloudflare community?

I've created one here if you're interested in following it up :

Last edited:
Thank you for creating a thread with all the traceroutes but I dont think cloudflare is going act on it I see someone responded on cloudflare that it is ACT who did not setup optimized routing when they have peering it is upto ISP to setup proper routes

@madh123 FYI, the routing issue isn't new. This has been happening for several weeks, from what I know.

But, I wasn't aware of the DNS issue. I didn't get much time to get to the bottom of routing issue when I came across it a few months ago as I was troubleshooting it over TeamViewer on a poor internet connection.

I believe both DNS issue and routing are related as I remember someone from this forum fixed all the speed related issues just by switching the DNS servers on BSNL FTTH. tp-link Archer C50 Slow download and High Upload Speed on 1277 BSNL FTTH Plan | Bharat Fiber Broadband (BSNL FTTH)

Today ACT representative from disconnection team spoke to me in rude and sarcastic manner so I am moving out of ACT fibernet and moving to Airtel. Airtel has better customer service team atleast.

Right. Airtel would do something similar but their representatives are never rude at least. 😔

As an off-topic, I think we need a better forum software such as discourse forum where we can create new threads when a topic goes off-topic and hide discussions that are not worthy, etc. Some threads are polluted with more off-topic discussions than on-topic. Those who visit such threads for the first time, they tend to think wtf.

I come less often these days and join in much lesser conversations due to the aformentioned two issues (no healthy discussions, no way to create a new thread/s when a topic goes off-topic such as right now with this entry).

+1 I'd really love if this was migrated to Discourse 😍😍

@Sushubh 🙏

On topic, all the more reason to use DNS over TLS or DNS over HTTPS, at least we know no one is hijacking the traffic (although it was not the case here). Cloudflare DNS and Google DNS support DNS over TLS now.

Back