• Thread starter Thread starter imiten
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 8,132

imiten

ISP
MTNL
Hi,

I have old garuda handset which I want to replace. I purchased HTC Touch Pro cdma handset. MTNL customer care does not support it. So please help me understand what are the activation instructions. Some tel. no to dial in and then register ESN etc.

Regards,

Miten.
[email protected]

Hi,

I have old garuda handset which I want to replace. I purchased HTC Touch Pro cdma handset. MTNL customer care does not support it. So please help me understand what are the activation instructions. Some tel. no to dial in and then register ESN etc.

Regards,

Miten.
[email protected]

MTNL uses GSM technology, and to use it on MTNL all you would need to do is pop down to a local mobile shop which sells MTNL SIM cards, submit your documents and pay Rs49 or Rs99 or whatever the cost of the SIM is, pop it in your phone and away you go.

However, if you have purchased the "Raphael 800" which is the CDMA version of the HTC Touch Pro, then you can not activate it on MTNL, because it's the wrong type of radio transmitter. The networks to use CDMA in India are Reliance and Tata - Indicom, not Docomo (CDMA is being slowly obseleted). Unfortunately it appears that you may have purchased the wrong model of your desired handset and should change it immediately if possible.

MTNL Garuda is based on CDMA technology. You may try getting in touch with MTNL and tell them that you need a RUIM card. Found this info on their Delhi website. This may be applicable in Mumbai too:

Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd.. Delhi

Following is an extract which needs your attention:

iii) Change-of-RUIM Card:

a) Applicable to both Postpaid and Prepaid connections for Lost RUIM Card replacement and change from �Handset-based� connection to �RUIM- based� connection.

b) Service Charge: Rs.100/- (Service Tax extra)

The booking of Garuda RUIM is possible from MTNL Sanchaar Haat�s as well as Franchisee.

As per the above info, you can change your Handset based connection to a RUIM based connection.

MTNL Garuda is based on CDMA technology. You may try getting in touch with MTNL and tell them that you need a RUIM card. Found this info on their Delhi website. This may be applicable in Mumbai too:

Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd.. Delhi

Why so it is. I had no idea MTNL was running 2 separate mobile networks. I learn something every day :D

Why so it is. I had no idea MTNL was running 2 separate mobile networks. I learn something every day :D

Even BSNL had a CDMA service called 'Tarang'. Don't know whether it is still alive though :imwink:

MTNL uses GSM technology, and to use it on MTNL all you would need to do is pop down to a local mobile shop which sells MTNL SIM cards, submit your documents and pay Rs49 or Rs99 or whatever the cost of the SIM is, pop it in your phone and away you go.

However, if you have purchased the "Raphael 800" which is the CDMA version of the HTC Touch Pro, then you can not activate it on MTNL, because it's the wrong type of radio transmitter. The networks to use CDMA in India are Reliance and Tata - Indicom, not Docomo (CDMA is being slowly obseleted). Unfortunately it appears that you may have purchased the wrong model of your desired handset and should change it immediately if possible.

model is RAPH800 but it says its CDMA-1xRTT which is CDMA-1x then why is it not compatible with MTNL garuda which also says CDMA-1x. do you mean the handset will work with TATA, Reliance but not MTNL ?

can anyone provide with carrier cabs for mtnl garuda and instructions on how to load them. Also then how can I land on mtnl garuda network using *228. once I am set with it I can go to mtnl and get further help.

model is RAPH800 but it says its CDMA-1xRTT which is CDMA-1x then why is it not compatible with MTNL garuda which also says CDMA-1x. do you mean the handset will work with TATA, Reliance but not MTNL ?

cc reply to: [email protected]

It not a good idea to display your email id on a public forum especially your office id. I suggest that you remove it. If someone wants to contact they can do it on this thread or PM you directly.

cc reply to:

At first I thought this was the case, but I've since learned that MTNL's CDMA network is still alive and well, as mentioned in posts above. As such, you should be able to take it to MTNL and activate it somehow - or if MTNL doesn't want to touch it, then you can take it to Tata or Reliance too.

That being said, I stand by my suggestion that you consider switching over to GSM technology, as all of the providers are migrating away from CDMA networks, and this will give you the opportunity to upgrade to 3G as well if you want it in future.

Back