Adsl Led Turns Off At Random - Need Power Off/on To Establish Connection

• Thread starter Thread starter knura
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 4,326
It is annoying when it has happens during the early part of NU hours e.g. around 01:00 thereby screwing up the download session for the rest of the night..

dear knura,
This problem is not uncommon one. See my thread https://broadband.forum/Frequent-Disconne...ions-t7780.html
Unfortunately I have not yet seen anyone really tackle this headon. The main reason I think is bcoz we are expecting mtnl lines to konk off and do not really feel that fluctuation could be a cause. Well best of luck in finding the answer and if you do please please let me know too bcoz I am pretty exhausted by now trying to find an ans. to this.( I have a switch in between the router power supply and the UPS so that I can shut it off and start it as soon as something off this sort occurs)

I have heard lot of clicking snd from my UPS indicating power fluctuation (which happens a lot in my bldg). But thank god I don't hv this ADSL problem. Anyways nowadays u do get an ADSL PCI Card to plugin to the PC. Why not install this card & get rid of power fluctuations since the SMPS gives a perfect power o/p.

Power fluctuation is an endemic problem all over India. For this reason, I use UPS to power my network devices and PCs. My problem has manifested since the monsoons in Mumbai. The engineers at the exchange have done line testing and found an earthing fault. They plan to move my service to another circuit and then wait/observe to see if the the problem still occurs. If it occurs then they will consider replacing the modem.I have a LAN with a few PCs/Notebooks on it. They all use the router as the gateway. If I use a PCI card then I need to have that particular PC remain ON so that other computers to access the `Net. The power usage of the router is much less than that of a PC.

An update: Fault with the line, fixed and DSL502T replaced. These two seems to have solved the problem. Seeking the local linesman's help is more effective than writing complaints to the babus. My linesman asked me to visit the local exchange and talk to the engineer. My line was tested and they found an earthing problem with the line. The engineer explained that until the 'earthing' problem was rectified he was hesitant to replace the DSL502T modem. The helpful linesman moved my tel. service to another pair that solved the 'earthing' problem. However, the modem ADSL light still went OFF and stayed OFF until the unit was power cycled. I took the modem to the engineer @ the exchange and he replaced the modem. For the past 2 days things have been working OK. If the problem manifests again, then I'll replace the splitter.

QUOTE(knura @ Nov 28 2006, 11:17 PM) [snapback]69831[/snapback]
An update: Fault with the line, fixed and DSL502T replaced. These two seems to have solved the problem.
... snip ...
If the problem manifests again, then I'll replace the splitter.
[/b]

I did not experience any ADSL problems after MTNL fixed the tel. line and replaced the DSL502T.

However, I did experience minor problems with the telephone. I was not getting dialtone on the telephones but ADSL was OK. I replaced the splitter and for about 9 days have not had any problems either with the Telephones or with ADSL line being dropped.

Hope this helps others experiencing similar problems.

Back