• Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,816

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
The government will shortly launch 'Netra', the defence ministry's internet spy system that will be capable of detecting words like 'attack', 'bomb', 'blast' or 'kill' in a matter of seconds from reams of tweets, status updates, emails, instant messaging transcripts, internet calls, blogs and forums.The system will also be able to capture any dubious voice traffic passing through software such as Skype or Google Talk, says a telecom department note seen by ET. "Intelligence Bureau and Cabinet Secretariat are currently testing 'Netra', which will be deployed by all national security agencies," the note says. "The specifications of the 'Netra' system can be taken as frozen following tests by the Intelligence Bureau and Cabinet Secretariat, and can be considered for providing multiple user access to security agencies," it adds.
The 'Netra' internet surveillance system has been developed by Centre for Artificial Intelligence & Robotics (CAIR), a lab under Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO).
https://www.readability.com/articles/3cclyvim

Govt to launch internet spy system 'Netra' soon - The Times of India
The inter-ministerial group favoured allocation of 300 GB of storage space to a maximum of three security agencies, including the Intelligence Bureau and Cabinet Secretariat, for intercepted internet traffic and an extra 100 GB would be assigned to the remaining law enforcement agencies.

Are they kidding?
Aren't the people who actually execute/plan these things use code/sign language to communicate?
eg: Akbar ne bola hai anarkali ko deewar me chunwa do.
It can mean anything to person who wants to interpret it differently and contains no taboo word.

What smug bastard came up with the name "Netra" (eyes) for this system? All they had to was to name this something non-threatening like Golgapa, or Kaju Katli (for the distraught Android fans) and we won't have any problem.
On a side note, I was checking out xyzkart - I heard the deals on electronic and kitchen items were the bomb! Last week they had a weekend blast and NailsInLungs Pressure Cooker was the best deal. I won't post the direct link because I don't you guise to kill the site with all the traffic.
See? Nothing happened. It's not like I got blackbagged or arres...

Hands tied on tech, India’s digital eye is half shut | The Indian Express | Page 99

The digital espionage system has almost certainly picked up these communications — but they’ve remained incomprehensible to India’s intelligence services, because of the failure to beat digital encryption technology. “There hasn’t been one single case where we’ve successfully managed to penetrate encrypted communications between terrorists,” admitted a senior Research & Analysis Wing (R&AW) officer.
Increasingly, India’s intelligence establishment believes the only answer is to compel internet firms to locate their servers in India, as Brazil has done and Germany is contemplating — thus forcing them to comply with lawful interception orders.

This is what happens when you spy indiscriminately. Unless we have warrant culture the spy agencies will loose the war.

Admin did you know that when a city is under control in a commissioner system the police do not have to seek search warrant from a magistrate!. In haryana, gurgaon and fardiabad have this system.

I suggest everyone to use encryption on their personal computers. And encrypted communication tools.

Cannot wait for Bleep to become a proper tool for instant and group messaging. I might finally dump Hangouts.

Encryption wont save you as under IT act sec 69 you will be forced to giveup your key or goto jail for 7 years! even though you have a right against self incrimination under article 21 of the constitution. In UK and Australia which have no bill of rights you can be jailed for 2 years and 6 months respectively.

Talk about ironic draconian laws!

In USA under 5th amendment the courts have ruled giving up encryption keys to the police\govt is unconstitutional!

Back