AIRTEL 3G Band info needed

spraveenitpro

ISP
broadband
Hi I am planning to purchase a Google Nexus one and bring to India , Now I am aware that Airtel would not have 3G till Oct 2010 , and when they would have it , What would be the Band on which they would operate ?? [bsnl is 2100 Mhz]Praveen

hehe. i would prefer if you keep the discussions in one place. as for airtel 3g i assume no one can say anything. they have not even WON the biddings from what i assume.

Why dont you just email airtel and ask them. They might be able to help!

hehe. customer care people would not have ANY CLUE. he would probably need details from the technical guys... what he can do is look up the documents on indian government websites... where they have put on the details on the availability of spectrum... if all of it is in the same band, i guess problem is resolved.

India's Department of Telecom has unveiled details of the planned auction of 3G spectrum. The government is offering blocks of 2x5Mhz in the 2100 MHz band under 20-year licences. Most circles will have five blocks available, while some areas, such as Delhi and Gujarat, will be limited to three licences. One block in each circle will be reserved for either BSNL or MTNL, the state-owned operators .

all 3g GSM spectrum being auctioned is in 2100mhz band, so airtel is also going to get spectrum in 2100 band when it wins the auction.One more thing is airtel currently has spectrum of over 10mhz in 900mhz band for 2G gsm in most circles. if it seems more demand for 3g, it might use 900mhz spectrum for 3g in future, probably after 3 to 5 yearsso buy the nexus that supports both 900 and 2100mhz 3G bandsthis also answers the PM u sent me :)

cool. so both the editions of nexus one are likely to support the upcoming 3G players in the market.

Any insiders here know if the private telco's even have the 3G infrastructure in place? I mean they haven't even gone through the bidding process so I'm not sure what timeframe to expect. It'll be nice if they can just flip a switch to turn on 3G once they get their spectrum allocation and licenses from the Neta's but I'm thinking we're at least a year or more away from seeing 3G from the private carriers.

hehe. it would be safe to assume that at least airtel and vodafone would have prepared well for the launch. because...mtnl and bsnl have had a pretty long early bird advantage. they HAVE to offer 3G services. even if they lose in auctions, they would have to get it somehow... probably through acquisitions.also... players like etilsat are also likely to be working hard on it. this company has paid mega bucks to aamir to advertise for them. and they have not even launched their basic mobile services! but. they are backed by dubai based investors. so there is probably no shortage of funds to get it done in time.

Back