• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 102
  • Views Views 56,323
@ashinusa
Just now talking on Vonage VOIP:
U.S number( mine also ) AIRTEL
Ask your relations to set a U.S number
and send you the unit.

Vonage is a paid service. I live in the US and I have Vonage here. But for my parents and my in-laws, they don't really need to call anyone else so the way to go is a free VOIP service. No point in paying for the monthly fees + all the 911 overhead fees + other fees on a monthly basis for service in India. Gizmo was the perfect solution for my needs. I use ipkall.com to map a US number to Gizmo so that I can call my parent's from anywhere.

The same setup works with Voxalot(not being blocked yet) which is what I switched the device to now. But Voxalot is no where near as reliable as gizmo/sipphone, which unfortunately is getting blocked.

I found another softphone/SIP provider which charges U.S 1.3 cents to India. Call quality using SIP is wayyy better than Betamax and the min you have to buy is U.S $5.PM me to ask for the company name. I am not going to reveal it here. TRAI a$$holes are all over the place. :evil:

the providers name starts with n and ends with o are u talking abt the same one? since u have mentioned the rate it can be easily googled

the providers name starts with n and ends with o are u talking abt the same one? since u have mentioned the rate it can be easily googled

right on :thumb:

After so much correspondence with Airtel they write back with this"We regret to inform you that to connect static IP using "VOIP" have been restricted as per guidelines received by "DOT", Hence you will not able to use VOIP services.":frown: :( :S

After so much correspondence with Airtel they write back with this

"We regret to inform you that to connect static IP using "VOIP" have been restricted as per guidelines received by "DOT", Hence you will not able to use VOIP services."

:frown: :( :S

Despite all the talk of regulations and such, I have seen no problems in using both Skype out and Skype In on Airtel as well as MTNL connections that I use. There is a good chance that the customer support was unable to resolve the problem and hence is plaing the blame at the door of TRAI. This happens frequently with the support of Airtel because their employees don't know the difference between their as*h*le and their mouth.

I am unable to check unbilled DSL usage for one of my Airtel connections since January. Always get an error message "no data exists". Have registered multiple complaints with phone support, have emailed nodal officer too. But the problem is yet to be resolved.

I got a call from the technical support guy and he told me that the data has disappeared from their system because I was using Firefox browser. I should have used Internet explorer. This is not a lie. :wall: I told that tech support guy that he was lucky because he was not working for my company. Next time I'll get a call from Airtel technical supoort staff, I'll tell them to email me instead of talking on the phone.

Despite all the talk of regulations and such, I have seen no problems in using both Skype out and Skype In on Airtel as well as MTNL connections that I use. There is a good chance that the customer support was unable to resolve the problem and hence is plaing the blame at the door of TRAI.

They are blocking SIP protocol, you will be able to connect using your computer and their dialler, but not through a sip phone/adapter.

Checked MTNL once again. It works so smoothly. :cry:

Sip protocol is not being blocked..they are just blocking sip servers of some VoIP companies..and its an intentional block, not an unresolved problem

Back