airtel broadband: connection drops despite copper wire being changed!

• Thread starter Thread starter breakyo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 73
  • Views Views 23,667
coimby, Ajay, and others thank you for the help so far:clap::clap::clap::clap:. I stop my postings here, since I have been accused of posting junk worthless content.:cool2:

i JUST said that there was no use posting the ENTIRE ping content. i have cleaned up the posts for you.

posting using Quick Reply
Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

Even this is useful. Although only one line is enough

coimby, Ajay, and others thank you for the help so far:clap::clap::clap::clap:. I stop my postings here, since I have been accused of posting junk worthless content.:cool2:

Thanks for posting the results - I would like to conclude the discussion on MTU by saying "try setting MTU to 1464 on your deskop as well, you will find that it might work". If 1464 works from your laptop, I don't see any reason why the same setting will not work from your deskop.

From the ping results, I don't suspect that there is any packet loss issue. But its hard to tell so, as Ajay suggested, you have to do a continuous ping to your chat server and see if there are any 'request timed out' at the same time when you get disconnected. The idea here is to see if there are problems with the link to the chat server or the chat server itself. Have you asked anyone else in the same chat room if they face similar disconnections?

Overall, your broadband link has improved (as you admit) either due to MTU change (although I doubt this and its just my opinion) or because of the 'port' change made at the exchange end or change of copper wire from blue box to the exchange (only the Airtel tech can confirm what exactly he did in this regard).

Hey, AjayJp! well this is the resolution- around 2 weeks or more back I used to get disconnected every 5-10 mins from all chat clients, instant messengers et al. the dsl link would go down. and now there is still disconnection problem, but is less frequent. once in a few hours, or sometimes once or twice every hour. and i have seen the dsl link go down yesterday just once.

just confirmed from my friend who lives in chennai and uses BSNL, he says he stays online on the chat sites for 6-7 hours and yet doesn't get disconnected even once. so the problem is with my provider. where is the problem? this is still unsolved, because only few mins back I had a disconnection and yahoo messenger ( which was fine so many days ) also restarted.

----------

Well, after so many complaints, all that has been done is that the frequency of disconnections has gone down, apart from that i can't say i have a steady, stable connection.

Hey, AjayJp! well this is the resolution- around 2 weeks or more back I used to get disconnected every 5-10 mins from all chat clients, instant messengers et al. the dsl link would go down. and now there is still disconnection problem, but is less frequent. once in a few hours, or sometimes once or twice every hour. and i have seen the dsl link go down yesterday just once.

just confirmed from my friend who lives in chennai and uses BSNL, he says he stays online on the chat sites for 6-7 hours and yet doesn't get disconnected even once. so the problem is with my provider. where is the problem? this is still unsolved, because only few mins back I had a disconnection and yahoo messenger ( which was fine so many days ) also restarted.

----------

Well, after so many complaints, all that has been done is that the frequency of disconnections has gone down, apart from that i can't say i have a steady, stable connection.

BUT, you have'nt told us if 'ping' to the chat server was giving 'request timed out' or not at the same time you got disconnected? :-)

BUT, you have'nt told us if 'ping' to the chat server was giving 'request timed out' or not at the same time you got disconnected? :-)

Hi, coimby. :-). yes i haven't yet observed it that well. will do it now. so I have to run 3 pings? one ping to the google, chat server and 203.145.184.47.

Hey, Coimby & AjayJp. I finally noticed a 'request timed out' message in the ping when i had a disconnection few mins back. so I was running 3 pings, one to google.com, another to the chat server and third to the DNS server ( not sure it's called DNS server) the address of the DNS server is 203.145.184.47 ( the airtel engineer had told me to ping to this, and also set up an icon in the deskop). as soon as i had a disconnection from the chat room I noticed a 'request timed out' message in the ping to the chat server and also a 'request timed out' message on google.com and the DNS server BUT the timed out error in last two pings appeared few replies before the chat server ping ( some 10 replies before). so where could be the problem?

Hey. more observations. observed the ping replies when I get disconnected from the chats. there is a request timed out message in the ping to the chat server whenever there is a disconnection, also a request timed out message at the same time in the ping to google.com, and sometimes there is a request timed out message in the ping to DNS server too 203.145.184.47. so my yahoo messenger logged out and in back a while ago ( so I was wrong when I said my yahoo messenger doesn't log out and log in back anymore in my earlier posts, though the frequency has reduced) and there was a request timed out at the same time in all the ping windows.

Back