airtel broadband: connection drops despite copper wire being changed!

• Thread starter Thread starter breakyo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 73
  • Views Views 23,667
So to summarize- There is no DSL Link Drop - Packet Loss is there and its when you get timed out messages that you loose your connection.The issue should be at the backend of Airtel itself even a Modem issue could also cause this. But to be on a safer end, have you tried a complete virus scan on your computer, bcos at times if you computer has virus there could be Denial Of Service Attack and could cause the same issue. :evil:

So to summarize

- There is no DSL Link Drop
- Packet Loss is there and its when you get timed out messages that you loose your connection.

The issue should be at the backend of Airtel itself even a Modem issue could also cause this.

But to be on a safer end, have you tried a complete virus scan on your computer, bcos at times if you computer has virus there could be Denial Of Service Attack and could cause the same issue.

:evil:

Hi, there. well, yes, most of the times there is a disconnection, DSL link does not drop, you are right. but i have seen the DSL link drop twice last week.

yes, whenever there is a disconnection I sure see those 'request timed out' messages.

now about the virus scan, I have scanned for security threats, malicious items, etc., using the following softwares and found nothing...

1) symantec anti-virus
2) malwarebytes' anti-malware
3) Bitdefender online scanner
4) spybot

all the above softwares were up-to-date when I started scanning.

:-)

----------

well..just had a disconnection in yahoo and it logged in back ( the chat rooms didn't disconnect at this time) . didn't see any request timed out message in most of the ping windows except google.com.

----------

well well, one more disconnection, this time the DSL link drops...saw the modem restart with my own eyes

----------

wow, never faced such a complex problem, the engineers are out of answers. they changed the copper wire from the DP ( distribution phase) box to the computer room, changed some port at the exchange, checked the line using SULIM test and found it to be fine. I am sure back end check must have been done. on my side, I have checked my system almost everyday for virus, malware etc., using various software programsyet the problem is unsolved and the root cause unknown, strange.:@

Did the aritel engineers change the modem just to make sure that is not the cause, in my case this was with Reliance they changed everything but after 5 months when I told them to terminate the connection as it was still giving problems they tried the last resort as changing the modem and that solved the issue!

Did the aritel engineers change the modem just to make sure that is not the cause, in my case this was with Reliance they changed everything but after 5 months when I told them to terminate the connection as it was still giving problems they tried the last resort as changing the modem and that solved the issue!

And this is precisely what I suggested at the beginning of this thread :inodding:

Quote :
Originally Posted by ranjitbhar
And this is precisely what I suggested at the beginning of this thread

Hi, ranjitbhar and coimby. :-). thank you for replying. I had requested for a new modem some one week back, but no response yet. I wanted to give them time if they are working on my problem, that is why I haven't called them again.

seems I will have to call the local tech and remind him again.

Just wanted to add something about these disconnections I am experiencing.
I don't get disconnected at all times of the day. sometimes its morning, evening or night, even late night and early morning. so its really complex. its fine sometimes and it gets worse sometimes.

hey, ranjitbhar, coimby, AjayJp.called the engineer and requested him to replace the modem. Hope it is replaced by a new, unused modem. should the splitter be replaced too and the wires?.just want to summarize, what has been done so far.1) the copper wire from the Distribution phase box to the computer room has been replaced.2) DSLAM port at the exchange has been changed.3) telephone instrument has been changed.4) now have requested for a new modem, since the problem has not been solved completely yet.hope this last step helps.:-)

Hey AjayJp, coimby....

Nearly more than 2 weeks after my request for a change in modem, today I have been provided with the replacement, a new model 450tc1,

As you can the see the SNR margin is much higher in this modem as compared to the last one (450bx1) which had only around 18-25.

Hoping the change in modem would solve my random chat room disconnection problems.

Actually this modem was changed only when I threatened to terminate my airtel connection, otherwise airtel (121) was reluctant to change the modem.
:wewin:

weird. airtel usually do not mind replacing hardware if the user is facing problems. :(

weird. airtel usually do not mind replacing hardware if the user is facing problems. :(

true. I called up 121 at around 10 this morning and within 2 hours the modem was replaced, but I had to convince them as they believed that unless there is a problem with the modem it need not be replaced and also they thought that random chat room disconnections had nothing do with the modem, so I had to threaten them and convince them why I needed a replacement, finally they agreed to replace. :wewin:

----------

Wow! :iomg: I think replacing the modem might have resolved my issue. I have been connected to two chat rooms since 7:30 pm until now 10:40 pm. so three hours without a disconnection. which is great for me because I usually get disconnected once every half hour or an hour for sure. just this morning (before the modem was replaced) I got disconnected 15 times in 2 hours. :impissed: LOL!.

:thumb::dance::ishock::thumbsup:

right. i got my modems replaced when they stopped working so there was no question of proving to them that there was a problem. :D the dude did ask me to restart the modem and other usual stuff. i told him specifically that all the four lights on the modem are ON. there is no PING. it has simply stopped working. a dude arrived at my place saw the modem accepted that it had died replaced it configured it. and i was back online. it sucked more for me considering my TV was dead too because of the fried modem.

Back