Airtel broadband in Linux

• Thread starter Thread starter wiresharkk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 3,811

wiresharkk

ISP
MTNL Broadband
I currently am using Ubuntu and am thinking of moving over to Airtel broadband. How is Airtel broadband in Linux in general in terms of connectivity, customer support? :) Most of the indian ISP dislike users using Linux so I ask

as long as you let the modem dial and connect to the airtel servers, its as simple as connecting windows to the internet.ubuntu is smart enough to auto configure your net connection when you connect the lan cable to it. using a dialer would require you to set up the connection. this is something required in windows as well. ISPs dont hate linux, but when they require a different way to authentica the user, they tend to concentrate on windows only.

as long as you let the modem dial and connect to the airtel servers, its as simple as connecting windows to the internet.

ubuntu is smart enough to auto configure your net connection when you connect the lan cable to it.

using a dialer would require you to set up the connection. this is something required in windows as well.

ISPs dont hate linux, but when they require a different way to authentica the user, they tend to concentrate on windows only.
ubuntu is as smart as vista
both can auto configure the connection

Thanks for your replies. So I jus have to plug-in the modem and I'll be connected to the internet, that's cool. Is it better to request a LAN modem?

Thanks for your replies. So I jus have to plug-in the modem and I'll be connected to the internet, that's cool. Is it better to request a LAN modem?
yes lan modem is better

I called Airtel, they told me they will check if Airtel is available in my area. :confused:

connexant's pci modem drivers can be obtained from linuxant some 19.99 US$, else use NDISwrapper and the windows drivers. beside i use a lan so no issues for me. good news? ubuntu and debian got the pppoe package or pppoa try both and see if you may get a work around for this, after you rebuild the kernel and load the USB modules or PCI modules? "oh not available? sad hard and bad luck!:P"

Back