Airtel Broadband Speed on Demand

• Thread starter Thread starter andyz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 164
  • Views Views 125,756
Airtel's Speed-on-Demand has turned all new !. The service has been made really simple by Airtel. Now you don't need to use keyboard at all. No entering complex username and password. The system automatically picks up you DSL ID and IP address of your Broadband connection and you can upgrade to higher speed in just 3 clicks. The rates have also come down .

256Kbps : Rs 10 / hour
512Kbps : Rs 20/hour
1Mbps : Rs 50 / hour
2Mbps : Rs 75 / hour

The interesting thing is that if you are downloading a video or uploading the file, and decide to go to a upgrade to a higher speed thru speed-on-demand, you dont need to restart whatever you were trying to download or upload....the file transfer speeds up from that point itself .In case of a power failure, once you switch to UPS supply , this functionality goes back to the selected speed and one doesn't need to start speed-on-demand again . What more, the service prompts every 1 hour to continue - and in case no action is taken, they auto cut thus eliminating possibility where your forget to switch off Speed-on-demand. And yes, it'll not work unless you are connected to airtel broadband (obviously)!!

Link is Speed on Demand- Internet Speed on Demand: Airtel Broadband VAS

My friend the information posted by you is obselete. I know this coz i've been using Speed on Demand (SOD) or bandwidth on demand for last one year. its pretty cool. You can increase your speed in just 3 clicks (but u need to connected to airtel broadband first). Plus you don;t need to change your tariff plan. Its pay as you use. The url is www.airtel.in/sod
the new reduced tariffs as under :

Rs 10/hr for 256 kbps
Rs 20/hr for 512 kbps
Rs 50/hr for 1 mbps
Rs 75/hr for 2 mbps

A unique feature about SOD is it pops a window every hour asking u to continue? if u don;t take any action u return to your normal plan. Cool na? at least u know u just can't forget to switch-off SOD!!! :)

i think airtel is the only one providing this service?

let me get this straight, if I use sod to increase speed to 2 mbps and I use that service for 12 minutes, I will only be charged 15 rupees? (75/hr rate for 2 mbps)

or will I be charged 75 rupees for the full hour rate?? (75/hr)

No, it is charged on a 5 minute pulse. You are charged for every 5 minute block. Might have gone down to 1 minute now though, I don't use Airtel Broadband anymore and MTNL seems to be taking its own sweet time. To think they'd have changed!

let me get this straight, if I use sod to increase speed to 2 mbps and I use that service for 12 minutes, I will only be charged 15 rupees? (75/hr rate for 2 mbps)

or will I be charged 75 rupees for the full hour rate?? (75/hr)

5 minute pulse? They should inform users about that. they could then have given per 5 minute rates, instead of 1 min. rates. confusing and misinformation, IMO. :(is there a timer thingy which lets me know how much time I have been using sod once I start using it?

5 minute pulse? They should inform users about that. they could then have given per 5 minute rates, instead of 1 min. rates. confusing and misinformation, IMO. :(

is there a timer thingy which lets me know how much time I have been using sod once I start using it?
It always sounds better by the hour and also drives people to consume for that 1 hour.

Apparently, it is per minute now
Speed on Demand- Internet Speed on Demand: Airtel Broadband VAS

i tested just now. It's a 5 minute pulse! :(

I was disappointed with the upload speeds. shouldn't the increase in u/l speeds have been in proportion to the increase in download speeds??

These are my sod 2 mbps speeds

these are my normal 512 kbps speeds

I hope they upgrade SOD to provide speeds of 4mbps to 8 mbps. After June my regular plan will have 2mbps so SOD will be useless for me.

5 minute pulse is not a big deal...when you terminate SOD the billing will move up to the next five minute block....you lose a few bucks more if you log off before the 60 minutes is over.

Back