Airtel Broadband Users Get Google services free!

• Thread starter Thread starter kanny
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 6,925

kanny

ISP
Airtel
what do you guys think about the benefits, if any, of this google powered airtel broadband services. I never used any airtel online services like e-mail etc. Infact their site doesn't even support Mac :( And about google services, don't we use them anyway ? So what is the difference ?

As per the agreement, Airtel will offer it's Broadband customers a portal that includes Google search; Gmail with 2GB storage; spam filter and Web access and POP access; Google Talk IM/chatting service; Google docs and spreadsheets..........
Techtree.com India > News > Telecom > Airtel Broadband Users Get Google

Offering something free which is already free!
Airtel partners with Google to lead India broadband growth story

umm. have you tried google apps?this i think would result in better services for people who are using airtel related email ids...you would get airtel branded google services. not targeted at us of course.

yes i have tried it. but why did u ask? i think thats what airtel is doing.. getting something free from google and promoting as a service.

umm airtel is not the only one to do so.a lot of universities do so and a lot of international isps are doing so.getting into a deal with google to provide superior email service to theri customers.think abt this. which other ISP in india would be offering a 2 gig email box to their customers?surely they can get a free gmail account. but not everyone does that for some weird reason.and existing users of airtel domain based email accounts would benefit.google get access to the existing airtel user base who are using their email services.airtel would probably get a share of the ad revenues...customers get a better email service. everyone is a winner here.now compare that to users of old VSNL email ids... i still see them in use today. ;)

its not abt better service. google is good no doubt. but this looks more like source of more spam and privacy breach.

plus vsnl ids exists because long back ppl just had that id and its been printed all over on visiting cards and ppl are still being contacted using vsnl ids.

but i am not sure if any1 wud want [email protected] or something like that.

plus vsnl ids exists because long back ppl just had that id and its been printed all over on visiting cards and ppl are still being contacted using vsnl ids.

how much space would they have on the vsnl servers?

think about a scenario where vsnl collaborates with google. and all of these people get emails on reliable google servers with 2 gigs of storage!

and pop/smtp is already there. and excellent spam filters... and even better web mail interface.

from what i know people have mantraonline based email ids. not sure what airtel broadband gives.... but if all the existing email users at airtel are upgraded to use google based services, i am pretty sure they would become more reliable...

personal opinion of course. i hate the amount of spam my cousin gets at his mail id which is hosted on my server. i plan to move his email hosting on google servers soon... for the sole purpose of making his email checking process a bit simpler.

about privacy... i had trust google to maintain my privacy more compared to airtel people.

i am not sure why u believe that airtel collaborating with google would result in spam for airtel customers...

and i am sure some of the airtel broadband users ARE using their provided email ids.

i have even seen people here on the forum asking on instructions to get the webmail service bsnl provide with their broadband service.

Having a gmail mail account makes much more sense. When you change isp's you do not have to change email id's, which means you do not have ot tell everyone you new email id. It's a lot easier. Also the gamil spam filter is excellent! I have been using gmail for at least the last 3 years now. it's very good :)It also work s very well on my Nokia too :P

the point is... this collaborative affair from airtel and google would benefit people who are using airtel powered mail service since a long time and cannot afford changing it now.

Back