Airtel Broadband vs MTNL Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter narang9192
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 9,708
yup i think its pretty much there..it wont go away unless someone files an RTI pet..and asks the reason for this

guys please vote so we can have a look at some real results. Personally I think Airtel's new plans are not going to be good for them, they are going to loose customers but still bad cc is just very hard to deal with.

well if i compare mtnl with airtel then we are getting better speed and at less cost

Can MTNL users on this forum give serious (dispassionate) feedback? I know there are plenty people like me who are fed up with this idiotic regime of FUPs and with the fact that MNTL plans are faster and cheaper. However, I am apprehensive of switching over to MTNL and having bad service. One has heard horror stories of frequent downtime, inefficient / un-cooperative customer care, wrong billing etc. but is this all still true? Is MTNL a viable alternative?

hehe. i waited for a couple of months. gave up. switched from 512k day - 1mbps night to 1mbps full time plan. did not ask about FUP because that would have caused additional depression.

@vebki am using MTNL from 3 yrs now, i dont remember single downtime in last 1yr. and even in previous 2 yrs downtime was very rare.

i have used both here's my view..1) Stability - MTNL is superstable but when compared to airtel..airtel is slightly better.2) Quality of service - Airtel has much better QoS with uninterrupted streaming and VoIP calls..for eg if u are downloading a file at full bandwidth and a VoIP call comes in, the download will automatically slow down giving priority to VoIP3) VoIP - Airtel blocks several Voice service providers, MTNL blocks none4) Speed - Airtel controls speed by software, MTNL by sync rate..result is that in Airtel there is no PPPoE overhead loss in fact if u have a 512 Kbps line u will get about 560-600 kbps. In case of MTNL for 512 K plan u will not get above 485 Kbps (based on syncrate of 576 and overhead loss of 16 %)5) Line quality - Airtel usually has better line quality resulting in better SNR and attenuation.6) Auto-Disconnection- MTNL every six hours..Airtel - i have been logged on for past 40 days7) Customer service - MTNL non existent..Airtel much better (relative). In case of MTNL the kind of CS u get depends on ur ability to pull a few strings or if u manage to get the number of the correct guy who happens to be cooperative..probs can be solved quickly or may take weeks.8) Latency - MTNL has better pings so its better for gamers.

i have used both here's my view..

1) Stability - MTNL is superstable but when compared to airtel..airtel is slightly better.
2) Quality of service - Airtel has much better QoS with uninterrupted streaming and VoIP calls..for eg if u are downloading a file at full bandwidth and a VoIP call comes in, the download will automatically slow down giving priority to VoIP
3) VoIP - Airtel blocks several Voice service providers, MTNL blocks none
4) Speed - Airtel controls speed by software, MTNL by sync rate..result is that in Airtel there is no PPPoE overhead loss in fact if u have a 512 Kbps line u will get about 560-600 kbps. In case of MTNL for 512 K plan u will not get above 485 Kbps (based on syncrate of 576 and overhead loss of 16 %)
5) Line quality - Airtel usually has better line quality resulting in better SNR and attenuation.
6) Auto-Disconnection- MTNL every six hours..Airtel - i have been logged on for past 40 days
7) Customer service - MTNL non existent..Airtel much better (relative). In case of MTNL the kind of CS u get depends on ur ability to pull a few strings or if u manage to get the number of the correct guy who happens to be cooperative..probs can be solved quickly or may take weeks.
8) Latency - MTNL has better pings so its better for gamers.

That was very comprehensive. Thanks for posting!

Airtel is not available to me.Anyways I am very happy with MTNL.It is better then any ISP I have ever used before(Hathway, Tata, Tikona, Reliance or sify)

Back