Airtel charging for MNP SMS (1900)

• Thread starter Thread starter devangpatel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 5,635
ISP
Airtel 4G & LCO
Last month, I ported one of my Airtel postpaid number to Jio prepaid. When I got bill today, I was shocked to see that I was charged for sending SMS to 1900.

According to my previous experiences when I ported my personal Vodafone postpaid to Airtel I was not charged anything for sending SMS to 1900, also in case of Jio even with no balance prepaid I can send SMS to 1900.

Why Airtel is charging to send SMS for 1900.

Also can anyone confirm this?

I am editing my previous post here. According to TRAI a sender cannot be charged premium rates but ordinary rates can apply.

Last edited:
What is so surprising about it. For prepaid, every SINGLE operator including BSNL charges for SMS to 1900. Jio goes an extra mile and ensures that you WONT even get a porting code with balance in your account if you don't have an active pack which I think now costs 129 INR minimum.

Postpaid I wasn't aware of but like I said, there is no rule in TRAI against it

@sng_shivang I haven't read MNP TRAI rules yet. But in general Vi did not charged me for sending SMS to 1900. Also as posted earlier I can send 1900 SMS on my secondary Jio number which haven't been recharged since a year.

Edited: @socrates can you send TRAI MNP rules link here.

True I was not charged by Vodafone while using MNP to port to jio. But then I was on prepaid plan where 100 sms were free pre day. I am surprised that you postpaid plan dosnt have something similar.

@sng_shivang I haven't read MNP TRAI rules yet. But in general Vi did not charged me for sending SMS to 1900. Also as posted earlier I can send 1900 SMS on my secondary Jio number which haven't been recharged since a year.

Edited: @socrates can you send TRAI MNP rules link here.
I had to recharge my Jio number to send the message. Complained to PG Portal and their redressal officer also said the same thing.

Fun fact:
Got charged by Airtel to port out of their top tier Airtel Black Plan. lol

Back