Airtel FTTH - Speed Issue with 200 Mbps plans

I ate their brain, They ate my brain but nothing solved it. Right now I am getting 600+ download speed, but soon after 8pm I will get 150-200.

@Lolita_Magnum Thats disturbing...

That is not disturbing, that is the truth. Do you know how much a 1:1 30Mbps DIA connection costs? 2-4Lakhs a month without any IP prefixes except the /30 for BGP!
Customers wants cheap but they want quality too. That is not how it works. Do you know how much international transit costs; what is the cost for maintaining a sea pipe or just a metro backbone itself?
A big pipe used is divided among many customers; easy way to make it cheap for customers. Kind of like our water supply
It's not an India thing; this is how it is everywhere difference is the pipes there are much bigger since base plans usually start over 100Mbps or even 500Mbps in countries like Tokyo and Singapore.
Not every customer is going to keep saturating all the time hence it rarely affects anybody plus residential TCP have a throttle limit of 35Mbit/s per lane.

You want another cold truth? You know why Jio never has speed issues? Because they take the 3300GB limit very seriously and have enforced it correctly everywhere, while for Airtel well... Airtel is airtel....

Last edited:
@Lolita_Magnum thanks for the info, Makes sense ...

I do recall paying exorbitant amounts for internet in the middle east & Europe when i used to consult there, I can imagine it must be the same for the USA if not worse, I don't know since I have not worked there.

As far as imposing the limit goes, I have faced the limit both on airtel as well as jio .. I guess I was just unlucky ...

@Sushubh didn't knew fiber optics are prone to congestion. I don't think they are overselling the connections in my area as from the pole box they have only given connection to me, no other user as of now.
I already paid for 6 months in advance as I needed more bandwidth for my home server with multiple services and VPN to use from outside. Will definitely downgrade to 100mbps.

As I can see that many people here are facing this issue and airtel is not resolving it, so there is nothing much to do until they improve the infrastructure.

Update:
So this issue is fixed for my city. After keeping the SR open for days, airtel team was able to figure out the root cause.
The engineer told me that the speed issue was due to some load-balancer device in their deployment center. He mentioned that the load was going above 50-80% during peak hours as many users have upgraded their plan to 100+ mbps, the load needs to be under 30%.

So the local team took some approval from Delhi by sharing speedtest sample from different users and they have upgraded the resource in their office.

After that I am getting a boosted speed of 400mbps on a 200mbps plan :)

Back