Airtel is rolling out IPv6 on their wired broadband services

Your settings are good, but Airtel's internet IPv6 distribution system is not. Try a router reboot after 12am, you'll have a higher chance of obtaining an IPv6 then. Also do share logs, just to confirm the above.

I'm getting ipv6 since yesterday also noticed my speed become some how doubled

I wasn't getting ipv6 when the setting was set to ''auto'' . I changed it to ''DHCPv6" and then I got ipv6 but tests over at ipv6-test.com are failing and when I type 'what is my ip' in google, it still shows my ipv4 address. tried rebooting ONT and my router at 1A.M but that didn't do anything.

is this simply airtel's poor implementation ?

@Aakash Malhotra I have read on here that some TP-Link routers have buggy v6 implementations. You may want to check for updated firmware. Also in your router specify DHCPv6 not 'Auto" and reboot. Settings have to be spot on otherwise it doesn't work.

IPv6 tests work perfectly for me on pfSense. Only ICMP tests fail because Windows firewall disables v6 ICMP by default in W11. There is a slight difference in configuring WAN ports for v6 with Airtel and Tata Play.

DHCPv6 is working on my end now. Google is showing my ipv6 address and tests at ipv6-test.com are successful. Just the DNS6 + IP6 is coming up as unreachable.

Now here is a strange thing, Earlier when Ipv6 was working partially, I was able to access blocked sites without a VPN but now that IPv6 is working completely, the websites are coming up as blocked and I have to use a vpn to access them .

A few months ago, the websites that were supposed to blocked were unblocked on IPv6.

Has airtel applied their rule blocking on IPv6 as well?

I have set pfSense to DHCPv6 and it works perfectly. With TPBB you check the "Request a prefix, do not request an IP address." option. That's the only difference in IPv6 config with the 2 providers. Of course RA is set to Assisted mode and the pfSense box has local DHCPv6 disabled.

ohfSoKR.png

@Aakash Malhotra so DHCPv6 works and don't worry too much about those tests. Some are buggy. Go to ipv6 dot google dot com to check if it can access a v6 site.

One more thing - With Airtel, if by chance they reset the PPPoE connection you may lose the v6 address. At least I do. So workaround is to either disconnect the PPPoE manually and reconnect OR reboot the router.

Last edited:

Back