Airtel Mesh Wifi

• Thread starter Thread starter Sam27
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 2,123
ISP
Airtel, ACT
Today I got a call from Airtel CC that if I am having problem of Wifi coverage in my home, they have solution in the form of mesh device. The lady on the other side asked me about the number of devices on Wifi, a rough layout of the house with floors and where the router is placed. After a brief explanation by her, I told her that I will research more from my side and they can give a call to me next week, So I have not refused it now.

Now the truth is that I have been facing weak Airtel wifi signals for some months, particularly in ground floor where my parents live and have a smart TV and are completely dependent on wifi. The router is placed on first floor in my other room where a desktop is connected through ethernet. In earlier part of this year, a wall was constructed in that room to divide it into 2 rooms. The plan I am on is 200 Mbps capable. The signal drops to around 50 Mbps in the farthest room on first floor while on ground floor, it drops to around 20 Mbps, which leads to buffering on my parents' TV. The Airtel lady told me that everything will run smooth once I get this mesh device. I have another 200 Mbps connection of ACT in my room which runs my desktop, laptop, smart TV and phone, so I do not face any problems. Rest of the household, there are about 6 more smartphones, one more laptop and a smart TV on ground floor. The drop in signal strength for past months is pointing to two reasons, either the additional wall constructed or Airtel has deliberately weakened the wifi signal strength to promote this device.

In any case, if any one has any experience or any advice in this regard, please guide me to whether go for it or not.

Here is what Airtel is talking about Mesh Wifi - Buy Mesh Wifi Router Online - Improve, Extend Home Wifi Range - Airtel

Please get your own WiFi router (or mess network). Please never trust any ISP. I work closely with security related issues. I've seen too many issues with Indian ISPs in recent times. Airtel is no different. Don't trust their routers. Also don't go for cheap routers either. Go with something that provides regular updates (including security patches).

Edit: Recommended routers: Asus, high-end TP-Link routers, Netgear, UniFi, Mikrotik. All these have excellent support too.

Back