Airtel router (H660GM-A) worst than Jio Router (JCOW414)

• Thread starter Thread starter newGuy2024
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 569
ISP
Jio Fiber
got my airtel fiber connection yesterday & airtel team installed H660GM-A router, it is installed right next to my old jio router (still active) so I thought why not test their signal coverage, so I installed WiFi Analyzer (open-source) – Apps on Google Play and started testing the range in all the rooms in my house, in almost all the cases jio router was performing better (had better signal strength), I dont understand how that is possible since Airtel one have Huge external antenna unlike jio, so does this mean size dosent matter? ;)

anyway, I will post all the SS of the app with all the details about distance and stuff.

2 question I have for you guys are:

1. I saw multiple access point with the same name, so why is Airtel broadcasting multiple SSIDs? & no they are not for 5ghz and 2.5 ghz, most of them was for 2.5Ghz.

2. Which Airel fiber router is best? this router is not really covering complete area, I am getting -75db in some of the places, the guy who installed the wifi said they can change if I complaint, so guys whats a better airtel router than H660GM-A??

Update:

logged into web portal, for some reason 2 SSID were enabled for 2.5 ghz, disabled the 2nd one. 5ghz settings are disabled but its fine i guess, my device will make the switch based on signal strength I think? I do remember some tech guy ranting about this and saying that auto switch dosent always work? what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
IMO, just use your own router if you can, I couldn't bear this ONT even for the first week. I have been way happier and have been having way more stable connectivity overall and uptime after bridging and using my own router.

@HC1337 Thanks for the suggestion I was actually planing for it, but I just gave airtel 2.5K deposit so now spending another 3-4k on a good TP-Link wifi 6 router will disturb my budget. but lets see.

Airtel people are ready to replace this router with some other router if i complaint but not sure which one to ask for

I'm using this router in airtel fibre for the last 13 days, and I'm having weird issues like sometimes while searching it gets stuck. It happens usually 1 out 5 times but other times it works ok. Tempreatures are above 60 always and it usually hits 73+ under heavy dl and ul. My friend has a genexis router and his temp remains around 50.

Back