Airtel Xstream fiber expanding to Kottayam

@Sammy maybe u will have their true ftth itself, the places where they have true fiber are limited, but v fiber is common and was present already at least for some 5 6 years

@Nitin Maybe it depends upon the type of userbase a city has. Airtel was sleeping for many years, if they become proactive now they can gain customers in areas where jio fiber has not reached

@Nitin I’m sure that Airtels plan is to penetrate areas that Jio have set their infrastructure in. Jio is established in so many cities across Kerala but are doing 0 marketing, mainly due to an ongoing dispute with the KL government. I only got a Jio connection because I found out via the people putting up the post for their cables and even then I only took their connection recently by reaching out to their offices because I gave up on my local ISP. I’m certain Airtel will come in swiftly and sweep up all the customers that are seeking a better connection than the LCO provided ones.

@philip Normal browsing and stuff, it’s pretty good. Public IPv4, symmetrical speeds, etc. are great to have but I’m getting an added latency of 50ms to most services in the EU and NA. Getting 53ms to SG and about normal pings within India. Hopefully routing on xstream is better and it’s not a Kerala thing with Airtel.

@Sammy v fiber is not true fiber till last mile ,its actually copper cables connections based on vectorization technology common in Europe . It will have it's own limitations .

It's also advantageous users since competition can bring out some best plans for the people using other isps. We can expect above 100mbps plans from other operators also.

Jio expansion in my area was done around Jan 2019, they literally did a 4-5km stretch on the main road next to my house in 2 nights.

Btw, I’m at my parents apartment in Ekm right now. They have an xstream connection, not seeing the best latency right now. ☹ Lmk if you want me to run any ping tests.
Report the connection directly to centralized support, and if not resolved, repeat until they find the cause.
I had V-fiber in EKM with a speed of 40Mbps and was top notch with Asianet(200Mbps) & Kerala Vision(100Mbps) Fiber as options and did not go for them for many reasons.

@rtr00t they definitely have the best QOS among asianet keralavision etc. In kerala But they have a major hurdle in front of them ,as their plans have very low fups and much costlier with respect to other ISPs. Most of the kerala users especially the rural area users are the ones who's main use case will be the google services so they are concerned only with higher fups plans than good QOS and routing. Both KV and asianet have higher fups with their starter plans.Airtel will have to come up with some good region specific plans having higher fup if they want gain market share here .

I think free installation could be a game changer. I know they sometimes offer it on long term plans but it's a good possibility for an introductory offer. Railwire/KV charge 4.5k for installation + ONT and asianet charge 2k+ for installation. Also been noticing a lot of people in my area are switching from KV to Asianet FTTH or Jio. The guy who collects the payments in my area said that there have been a decline in customers after lockdown started.

Report the connection directly to centralized support, and if not resolved, repeat until they find the cause.

Yup, I contacted the nodal officer and sent them an email too. They said they will try to help out remotely, if not they will send over a technician but I'll never know when its truly fixed until I'm back there. My parents just use the usual socials + youtube + email which work completely fine. The thing I noticed and mentioned to them was that the first hop itself I was noticing ~40ms latency to the router itself and then second hop is to airtel Chennai which is also ~30-40ms which shouldn't be that high.

Back