Airtel Xstream Fiber IPv6 in South Delhi?

• Thread starter Thread starter zewarriorr
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 2,229
ISP
Airtel Xstream Broadband
Hi, Is anyone getting IPV6 addresses on Airtel Xstream Fiber in South Delhi or anywhere else in Delhi?? Local Airtel engineers are saying yet to be implemented and no news as to when its going to be deployed. I thought DOT had set a date for all ISP's to shift to IPV6?

No one here from New Delhi??

what I am trying to say is that when I set the firewall to high, nothing passes thru for inward connection, when I set it to low everything passes thru for inward connection so all my IPv6 devices are directly exposed to the internet and now they have their own firewall responsibility. at least that's how my f670l behaves.

with IPv4 NAT comes into picture and unless you do port forwarding or DMZ direct inward is blocked at the router and does not reach the client and in away client is protected from direct inward connection, so while NAT != firewall some filtration happens by the very nature of NAT on router
my further tests reveal that several ports including 80 are open on IPv6 on airtel.

Last edited:
Ipv6 is on and off with airtel. My ipv6 is not working but surprisingly I am on public ipv4 from karnataka with unrestricted speeds. No changes in routing though. This from 2 days Or that's when I noticed.

Naah they keep on changing it. I went from delhi ip+ ipv6 to gurgaon ip without ip6 and later ipv6 was enabled and now this.
and mine is not a new connection.

I experience the same with airtel static ip + pppoe of ipv6

on ipv6 it is of karnataka and google speed test also picks chennai server. I have to disable ipv6 and then everything becomes normal.

in chandigarh ipv6 was implemented long time back and was stable and now they have started doing some experiments

when I set it to low everything passes thru for inward connection so all my IPv6 devices are directly exposed to the internet and now they have their own firewall responsibility

So what's wrong in that? you are lowering the firewall. Your security model shouldn't rely on NAT. And these CPEs don't have flexible firewall so that you can allow a certain port (if you wanted to do that) If you want to do that, put the ONT into bridge mode and use a different router.

It's not the fault of IPv6. And there's no alternative, either CGNAT or IPv6... which one would you prefer?

Back