Airtel's Never ending SPAM

• Thread starter Thread starter netant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 6,217

netant

۩ ŚŧäГЏЅ ΞПЖ
ISP
My number ( Airtel - postpaid) is already registered under fully blocked category of DND.
But the saga of spam calls & marketing call is not stopping.
As usual the airtel customer care playing dumb by asking same question every time i call 1909 & promising that some higher official will call me & rectify my issue, which never happen in past 2 months.

On any given day im sending atlest 2 complain sms to 1909 in format “COMP TEL NO XXXXXXXXXX, dd/mm/yy, Time hh:mm , sms/call details”.
for few spam sms i have got valid response & and not receiving ( e,g yebhi deals) but the calls are not stopping, mostly from SBI & CITI bank, selling credit card, personal loans & insurance.
im pissed off by airtel's attitude pretending to help & given up any hope on airtel's intention stop spams, rather every time they are forcing me to pay 30/- & get call management activated.
Can anyone suggest me where i can escalate this issue, and the process.
Thanks,

If you using android.. Will suggest you to install India against spam app to report the spam calls and messages.

Yebhi is super annoying. I have probably reported 50 of their deals texts through the IAS app.

I had (and still having) similar issue with Vodafone. But Vodafone CC finally gave up saying it is beyond their control to stop such calls.
I use Call blocker on mobile to block particular series of mobile numbers which is helpful most of the times.

chromaniac said:
Yebhi is super annoying. I have probably reported 50 of their deals texts through the IAS app.
Touchwood man, its was really tough to get rid of yebbhi, but finally its halted for me.

maníaco said:
If you using android.. Will suggest you to install India against spam app to report the spam calls and messages.
when i use AIS app, i get a error sms "DND complaint for your airtel mobile could not be registered due to incomplete details". so i manually compose SMS in required format.

SVK said:
I had (and still having) similar issue with Vodafone. But Vodafone CC finally gave up saying it is beyond their control to stop such calls.
I use Call blocker on mobile to block particular series of mobile numbers which is helpful most of the times.
yes telemarketing guys had been alloted some series, i guess 140.
But these caller are unsolicited/ unregistered tele-caller.
i cant use any call blocker due to my nature of profession, and these calls always come around 3-5pm when i anticipated majority of important official calls & is busiest period of my working hours. :(
i ask counter question all telecaller, how they get my number & based on their feedback, i suspected that its airtel only who sold the database,

Yep. Same story with my mom's VF number. Afaik, either the telco or someone within sells customer numbers to telemarketers.

Extremely frustrating. Can't even let go of the number. Sucks :(

And then Vodafone has the cheek to tell me to not share the number with people if I don't want spam calls and texts.

It is almost impossible for TRAI or any network provider to completely stop a dedicated spammer.
This is because they can only stop calls & messages from Indian numbers. But these companies get their messages routed from Nigeria and South Africa and other countries through international bulk messaging services used by companies such as Wechat, Viber, Airbnb etc. Same goes for calls, it is easy to call any number internationally at very cheap rates these days.
So such companies use these international routing techniques to keep on spamming rather than loosing their 'potential' customers.

You might be referring to Nigerian scams.
For me the Spam caller mobile number are from India, and based on my this week ( 23 june to 27 june) span volume the details are :
80% from this:-
Mobile Code : 8971State : Karnataka.Reference City : Bangalore/Mysore.Service Provider : Airtel. [ GSM ]And 20% from this:-
Mobile Code : 9884State : Tamil Nadu.Reference City : Chennai/Kancheepuram.Service Provider : Vodafone. [ GSM ] 1 call were from from Aircel - Chennai.

You might be referring to Nigerian scams.
No, what I am talking about are companies (many from Nigeria and some from other countries too) that provide cheap bulk SMS services which Indian spammers use to simply bypass DND in India at a very small cost. Similarly you must be aware of VOIP services, they are used for calling and spamming in similar way.

netant said:
For me the Spam caller mobile number are from India, and based on my this week ( 23 june to 27 june) span volume the details are :
80% from this:-
Mobile Code : 8971State : Karnataka.Reference City : Bangalore/Mysore.Service Provider : Airtel. [ GSM ]And 20% from this:-
Mobile Code : 9884State : Tamil Nadu.Reference City : Chennai/Kancheepuram.Service Provider : Vodafone. [ GSM ] 1 call were from from Aircel - Chennai.
Now this is pretty simple to diagnose, isn't it?
As you can see numbers above are simple mobile numbers and not 'short codes' such as DM-Google or DM-Flipkart etc. Only numbers registered as certain class are in companies database of advertisers. For example lets say there is a number 99999999XX which is registered with Vodafone as ABC Pvt. Ltd. and is assigned a short code - DM-ABC for advertisement purposes. Now if you have opted for DND and you still get messages from DM-ABC, only then you can complain to Vodafone about spams.
Now in your case the numbers are simple mobile numbers. So these are stubborn spammers having your mobile number (unfortunately). All they do is buy a SIM (most probably on a fake ID), send spams and if blacklisted by their network provider, just buy another SIM and continue their spam.
All you can do is complaint. Or you can use a good Call & SMS blocking app, I am working on one such app for android. :peaceful:
EDIT: Although I have been lucky to not get a single Spam call just by activating DND, yes not a single in years. Even before DND I rarely used to get any unwanted calls and that too from my network provider and not from banks etc.
But suddenly I started getting spams from real estate agents after I used 99acres and posted my number there. What I did was use my huge vocabulary of abuses and cheaper-than-dirt :poop: language and got rid of them too :pirate: .

netant said:
yes telemarketing guys had been alloted some series, i guess 140.
But these caller are unsolicited/ unregistered tele-caller.
i cant use any call blocker due to my nature of profession, and these calls always come around 3-5pm when i anticipated majority of important official calls & is busiest period of my working hours. :(
i ask counter question all telecaller, how they get my number & based on their feedback, i suspected that its airtel only who sold the database,
Not that series. They use cheap calling plan sims like Uninor/MTS/Aircel. So I block series from these numbers, particularly outside my state. e.g. I blocked series +9191 as 91XXXXXXXX belongs to MTS CDMA :D

Back