Amazon miniTV (Amazon MX Player)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
  • Replies Replies 43
  • Views Views 8,766
i think even zomato has video content in app? seems to have become a popular feature with everyone.

It was there a year or so ago before the lockdowns began -not sure if it is still there. Do not remember seeing it recently. Does not show up in app now - Unless its only available for Pro subscribers or something.

It probably flopped so badly that no one even noticed that it was removed silently by them - including news sites :ROFLMAO:

Amazon.com Inc. is in advanced talks to acquire MX Player, the video streaming platform owned by Times Internet, three people with direct knowledge of the development confirmed.

The US e-commerce giant has hired one of the Big Four accounting firms to carry out due diligence of MX Player exclusively, and the process is expected to take 30-40 days, one of the three people said, requesting anonymity.
A deal could happen within two months if all goes well, the second person said, also declining to be named.
“The talks have been on for a while," said the person. “Earlier, Times Internet was asking for over $100 million for MX Player, while Amazon’s internal team valued it at around ₹500 crore ($60 million). The deal is likely to be in the range of ₹600-900 crore."

Times Internet bought it for $140 mn so they have to sell it at a huge loss. lol

MX Player was good Standalone app which would play any video format. I had seen many downloaded movies on MX Player.
Then Times Internet bought it and made OTT app of it.

In Recent years never installed or tried it on PC, does it still play offline videos :D

Times has kept the media player and OTT apps separate. So you can still use the old MXPlayer. It still receives updates and features iirc. Though I just checked and it seems the free version has ads and is integrated with their OTT. Paid version on the other hand seems clean.

It is ridden with too many unnecessary features and has become too complex to use or maybe I have just become a boomer.

Back