Anyone with a T-KD 318EUI ADSL modem experiencing frequent disconnects?

• Thread starter Thread starter knura
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 3,973

knura

ISP
MTNL TriBand 320Kbps UL, Tata Indicom 1Mbps UL
The D-Link 502T modem that I was renting from MTNL finally died. It was working marginally; it would take anywhere from 6-8 minutes to establish a PPPoE session after reboot but MTNL would not replace until I could demonstrate that certain functionality like changing it's IP and saving it did not work.Now they have replaced it with a T-KD 318EUI modem which appears to be MTNL branded unit. The problem is that I am experiencing random and frequent disconnects (the time interval is not like 6 hours as discussed in another thread). I have complained and MTNL has already changed the twisted pair line twice in the last 10 days.I am wondering if the problem is with the modem.Anyone with a 318EUI unit experiencing similar problems?

have you connected the modem after the SPLITTER.. have you ensured that all the other telephones are connected after splitter..post your SNR status for your modem http://192.168.1.1

have you connected the modem after the SPLITTER.. have you ensured that all the other telephones are connected after splitter..post your SNR status for your modem http://192.168.1.1

Yup, the splitter is placed right where the MTNL wires comes into the premise. The MTNL line goes into the splitter. The wire from the splitter's ADSL port is connected to the modem and the wire from the splitter's phone port is connected to the 2 phones.

Here is the copy/paste from the modem's status page.

Item Downstream Upstream Unit
SNR Margin 30.5db 15.0db dB
Line Attenuation 23.0db 12.5db dB
Loss of Signal 0 0
CRC Errors 0 0
Data Rate 2041 Kbps 256 Kbps kbps
Latency Fast Fast

-------------------
|Update 18/Mar/09|
-------------------

Thanks to all for your follow ups.

Got my internal wiring checked up. All RJ11 connectors were cleaned. Installed new Cat5 cable (I know it is an overkill) from the MTNL junction box to the ADSL splitter inside the premises. Also anchored the splitter to avoid any crimping of the wires connected to it.

There is a difference in the ADSL stats

Item Downstream Upstream Unit
SNR Margin 32.5db 19.5db dB
Line Attenuation 23.0db 12.5dbdB
Loss of Signal 0 0
CRC Errors 0 0

The d/c are less frequent - when they do occur, the events are a few minutes or seconds apart from each other. I am saving the modem logs and notice that the high frequency of d/c is between 10:00 and 13:00 hours. Outside of this time frame the connection is quite stable. Makes me wonder if there a troll @ the exchange mucking around with the equipment :confused:

What modulation are u using?

Modulation is ADSL2+

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

when your modem disconnects, check to see if the power LED also blinks or only the ADSL link.

No it does not. I have the DC power adapter connected to a power strip coming out of a APC UPS (800VA) outlet.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Refer to this link, it should solve all ur queries
https://broadband.forum/broadband-india/34601-snr-margin-line-attenuation-what-do-they-mean/

To knura,
ur adsl status seems to be fine, TKD 318 EUI router may be the culprit, try 4 replacement. Demand for UT304R2 and not UT 300R2U, both have tagged name as TKD 318 EUI

Hi Chinmay,

Thanks for the write up in your link. Very helpful.
The modem is indeed UT300R2U. What is the difference between the 304R2 and 300R2U besides 4 port 10/100 switch on the 304R2. On the ADSL side I think they are the same.

Back