Apple App Store downloads are super slow on Airtel Broadband

guys tracert or ping itunes.apple.com to check for problems.

I have been facing the same issue from last 3 days or so. It is working for me with DNS IPs 4.2.2.2 and 103.250.184.85. When I used the combination of netstat and nslookup for working and non-working scenario (after initiating a download), it seems that the IP I am being resolved to are different in both scenarios. It is not working even with otherwise excellent google or openDNS servers. I could only find these two IPs which are making it work. It looks as if Apple has placed any kind of QoS policing to throttle down the rates for connections initiated by Airtel public IP pool and destined to their that specific server VIP. Try using one of these two IPs as your DNS server and let me know if it helps. You can use any IP from 4.2.2.1 - 6.

Thanks,
Piyush

I have been facing the same issue from last 3 days or so. It is working for me with DNS IPs 4.2.2.2 and 103.250.184.85. When I used the combination of netstat and nslookup for working and non-working scenario (after initiating a download), it seems that the IP I am being resolved to are different in both scenarios. It is not working even with otherwise excellent google or openDNS servers. I could only find these two IPs which are making it work. It looks as if Apple has placed any kind of QoS policing to throttle down the rates for connections initiated by Airtel public IP pool and destined to their that specific server VIP. Try using one of these two IPs as your DNS server and let me know if it helps. You can use any IP from 4.2.2.1 - 6.

Thanks,
Piyush

Hi where are these DNS servers located and who runs them?

Yes! 4.2.2.2 DNS setting on my iPhone fixed this problem for me

Which is weird meaning dns servers are messed up. I've been using Google dns for a while now so it's strange

Tunnelbear should work as well. I guess Airtel's routing with Apple servers are messed up these days.
well. you cannot do much. it is pretty much impossible to contact the relevant person(s) at airtel or apple to explain this routing problem to them.
it is very likely that the problem would get resolved in a day or two. at max a week as more and more complaints are going to be filed by consumers.
On closer inspection - I did a trace route to iTunes.apple.com. iTunes downloads served by Akamai..they are close by but choked on servers or bandwidth. VPN must be tunnelling straight to Apple servers without any intermediaries

Yes! 4.2.2.2 DNS setting on my iPhone fixed this problem for me

Which is weird meaning dns servers are messed up. I've been using Google dns for a while now so it's strange
Shankar - pl see my response below. Culprit is Akamai servers probably choked! With 4.2.2.2 you resolve to other akamai servers or directly to Apple. Try nslookup to iTunes.apple.com..will resolve to different networks with different DNS...if you bother this will help you feel less helpless :)

you can of course also use opendns or google public dns or any other dns servers for the second field?

Back