Apple App Store downloads are super slow on Airtel Broadband

google dns servers are better for router as they tend to get you fastest connectivity with google services and more.
keep the level3 on the phone itself considering only Apple servers are facing issues?
Google's DNS isn't an answer for other services, service should work as configured when you are paying premium for the bandwidth. We pay highest for the bytes in the world, that's why do all downloads in offices! A friend of mine says that's why telcos drop voice calls in favour of data..they make 2p/sec instead of 1p/sec!

Unfortunately, the front-line execs at airtel can't do much, the best of them with skills aren't at the wheel! This isn't really broadband issue, it appears the akamai servers in India are choked. Which is visible only to a trained eye, so best of luck after forwarding this to airtel CEO, he is supposedly a consumer-centric guy, worked at FMCGs. Let's test that out
We do Jugaad like DNS settings and VPN alternates to get around until then
lets hope he too has an iPhone

one thing I noticed that ping from airtel goes to local server where problem is.
while from excitel server goes to usa server.

airtel's direct peering with akamai servers are probably to blame for that :D

i wonder if you can just add an entry for apple.com in host file to get around this issue without changing the dns servers?

wow. had no idea india had the costliest bandwidth on this planet. and i have to look for sources for this myself! amazing!

This is from 2011.

yPDRGzy.png

I doubt things have changed much in the last four years. But maybe... cost of bandwidth does keep on rising in India every year. So maybe we have fallen down the charts to the bottom of the list.

Back