Auto DHCP (PPPoE) vs Static IP

• Thread starter Thread starter jainvikas8
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 14,368
ISP
ACT Broadband
Dear all,
I have been a ACT broadband user from more than 2 years now, initially the service was great with reliability and robustness...
In past few few months there is been problems faced by ACT broadband and they seem to be have been sorted at priority level
But topic i want to take out here is PPPoE (Auto DHCP) Vs Static IP (Leased Line)
Since few months, I have been troubled with broadband issues with packets (Request timeouts) been dropped on the Skype Call or when watching movie Or playing a online game....
So many complaints but the only resolution in the end i get from engineer is 'Its Auto DHCP , you need a static IP/Leased line...." I fail to see the difference what static IP can do better, which Auto DHCP can't?
Now as per my knowledge,
* Auto DHCP gives a lease time of one day and IP is provided by the server.
* Having a static IP will say the server that a particular MAC will have a static IP which has infinte lease time...
But having a Auto DHCP IP gives around 1-3% Loss in packets when constantly pinging google.com is a major issue, but engineers claim having static IP would not face any problems of loss much!!
I don't understand why so much difference? Why can't ACT provide a stable internet connection as other company does?
Thank you for reading the post, please post further comments...
Regards,
Vikas

imho, DHCP vs Static IP shouldn't affect your packet loss. Perhaps, their static IP lines are on ones with better contention ratio and better support for a higher price. Or, they are just pulling terms off hand in the hope that you won't question it and leave them alone :)

They have NATTED heavily with one External IP on the background 106.51.236.226...

What you mean by contention ratio here? does it mean priority Or a seperate server handling the connection?

If there is NO difference, Could be a marketing strategy to pull of some moola just with topic of Static IP and DHCP... There is some internal problem here, PPoE may not be stable here,, autodialing every 30 seconds... that's too much load on the server...

looks to me the same as if they are trying to just avoid giving answers to your questions, I've been using MTNL which uses the Dynamic IP and never faced any of the such issues mentioned. I would advise you to switch your broadband service provider or if you can afford lease line.

I don't believe it has anything to do with IP leasing. It could be an issue on your side or their side.
Did you try the same thing with another computer? If it happens again, then try it with another cable or router.
If you still have issues, then it's on their end. They might need to look at their ethernet cable that comes to your residence or their LIU.

Well a Fibre Optic Line is been drawn up and the Cx box is setup on the premises of the building, from the the box 3 conenctions have been drawn up to different houses...

Few months ago there was cabling problem which was sorted, but after that... again with issue...

I have bought a router which is only dedicated as AP for Wi-fi devices to be connected, Assuming the router which i was using was gone bad (old)..

Different computers same thing... Tests running on Windows xp desktop and windows 7 laptop turn up the same.. Although both of them are connected via Wi-fi... and signal strength seems very good... Will that make a huge difference, I hope not... I know ping uses ICMP protocols... which is the sort of control mesage used as echo

On certain ocassion they have a power problem with Fibre optic line, which took them around 3 months to resolve after 4-5 complains... In the end it was power issue..

Coming back to topic, If there is no significant difference here between Static IP Or Auto DHCP, then ACT broadband has real explaining to do... The company has got very popular with providing the Broadband services that it might have over burdern its servers with the lack of infrastructure... Or is there a problem with PPPoE Or their Portal page ...

Stock or custom firmware on your router? Did you try re-flashing the latest stock firmware?
Correct. There is no significant difference here between Static IP Or Auto DHCP.

uberjon said:
Stock or custom firmware on your router? Did you try re-flashing the latest stock firmware?
Correct. There is no significant difference here between Static IP Or Auto DHCP.
What you mean stock? Is it the factory firmware?
If yes, the stock firmware is upto-date on router(s)..
Is there any other suggestion please Or will forward this case to ACT Tech department @ higher level

Back