Bad Routing On Airtel Bangalore

• Thread starter Thread starter RedskyITM
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 5,562
Hey guys,

Around last Friday the routing on Airtel to Europe suddenly started going to the US first. From my conversations with the local team in Bangalore they have not been willing to accept that there might be a problem. Here's some trace routes for various Speedtest servers in Europe:

London:
vGBFeD3.png

Germany:
abfLQSQ.png

France:
7sP2AWX.png

So for London it goes Bangalore -> Delhi -> Mangalore -> Singapore -> California -> More US -> London.
For Frankfurt it goes Bangalore -> Delhi -> Dallas, Texas -> Frankfurt
and finally for Marseille it goes Bangalore -> Delhi -> Singapore -> England -> France

Anyone else experiencing issues like this? I have a few servers in Europe and I cannot do anything on them right now because it takes 10-15 seconds to register actions even though the ping is 300ms~.

Also on the same boat here, but from Chennai. Looks like both you and I are on static IP. Anyone else with dynamic can confirm better pings to the hosts above from a different range other than 122.16*.x.x?

I've checked some of the IP's and perhaps it seems to be a routing problem with Airtel. Maybe a portion of their submarine cable is suffering outage or something like that.

For speedtest.vodafone.co.uk.

Airtel : Routing Problem

Tata : It's fine

Reliance-Flagtel : It's fine too!

Hey if anybody want's to try traceroute's for different locations within Airtel or any other ISP for routing, then you could do the following.

Check Looking Glasses, and you could see if a different traceroute exists for a location.

Here is the LINK of Looking Glasses (LG) of Major ISP's

Airtel : Looking Glass

Tata : AS6453 IPv4 and IPv6 Looking Glass

Reliance-Flagtel : GCX IP Transit Looking Glass

Facing the problem on 4G too. Ping is fluctuating too much and the ip i am getting is from different state like i live in karnataka and the ip is getting assigned from tamil nadu

Facing the problem on 4G too. Ping is fluctuating too much and the ip i am getting is from different state like i live in karnataka and the ip is getting assigned from tamil nadu

It's normal on 4G / 3G when there is a congestion in the network. The software can be designed to allocate IPs from other states and could be designed to use a longer route to avoid disconnection of service. You may have been lucky not to have these issues earlier.

@pothi facing the issue from a week but before i used to get around 25-30 ms ping but now it is fluctuating from 70-300ms

I've checked some of the IP's and perhaps it seems to be a routing problem with Airtel. Maybe a portion of their submarine cable is suffering outage or something like that.
Exactly, but they aren't admitting it or willing to tell me. I've sent an email to the appellate for Karnataka and hopefully they'll let me know what's going on.

Last edited:

Back