Bangalore - IPTV on 15th August ( With Rates from BSNL )

• Thread starter Thread starter Praks
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 43,701
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks adder. Just called the number and got following address:IOL Broadband.#68, M. M. Road, Frazer Town, Behind Mosque,Bangalore-05

I had visited them last Saturday 25th August and demo was indeed ready. The visitor notebook showed I was the 300 and odd person. Quite some interest in IPTV, looks like.

oh well i had called IOL about 2 hours ago and they said that iptv service will come at 6mbps incuding the audio which comes at 192kbps,the internet will however come at 2mbps so the total bandwith is 8mbps.

Is this 6+2 Mbps bandwidth intended for HD or standard definition?

I have booked a connection some time back, which was supposed to be installed before the last weekend itself. They extended it to Wednesday (yesterday) and that promise too was missed. Now they have assured me to do it this Saturday! However, they told me that my modem (Huawei WA1003A) can support IPTV and they have "configured" my broadband connection. The change that I noticed was increase in the DSL download speed, from 1800ish Kbps to 3757Kbps. The modem status page now looks something like given below. I know this modem doesn't show SNR directly, can somebody tell me how to interpret it? What is the meaning of DS/US "Margin" and "Line Attenuation"?

Modem Status

Connection Status: Connected
Us Rate (Kbps): 639
Ds Rate (Kbps) : 3757
US Margin: 13
DS Margin: 2
Modulation : ADSL2Plus
LOS Errors: 6
DS Line Attenuation: 58
US Line Attenuation: 31
Path Mode: Interleaved

DSL Statistics
Near End F4 Loop Back Count: 0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count: 0

BTW, their local customer care number (22188700) gets automatically routed to Mumbai call center and one of the guys agreed that there have been a lot of mishaps between Mumbai and Bangalore offices! I was irritated by the fact that every time I called this number, they would ask me details like phone/mobile/name/address... even after registering and getting a reference number!!

@santosh.s well in USA AT&T gives HD iptv with following plans 1.5mbps,3mbps&6mbps download speeds.well even i am waiting for them to install it at my place .they provide users with 5meter cat5(ethernet,RJ45) cable which is short for me as i require 10meters of cat5 cable.but i want to connect the set top box as close as possible to the modem to get a good speed.since my modem D-Link GLB-502T has one ethernet out and one usb out so i have to connect the usb out to my PC and the ethernet out to the set top box.since i dont want wires running around the house i plan to buy a wifi router and connect i.e the modem ethernet Out to the wifi router ADSL IN and from wifi router RJ45 Out to set top box IN.and fo my PC via wireless.so guys if u can suggest a fast wifi router within 3500.

well in USA AT&T gives HD iptv with following plans 1.5mbps,3mbps&6mbps download speeds.
Interesting... Can HD really be delivered at 1.5/3 Mbps (I presume you are talking about bandwidth dedicated to TV stream)??? I was under impression that it is not possible at all. Would it be higher resolution but at the cost of a lot of artifacts? Guess a good SD may turn out to be better than bad HD in that case:p

those speeds are for internet what i meant to say was we get 2mbps internet speed atleast in theory and those guys get 1.5mbps to 6mbps.AT&T doesnt say what speed the iptv are coming also they happen to use H.264 which is the same IOL uses.anyway santosh if u get the iptv service do let us know how is the speed,image quality at ur place :)and also did the bsnl guys come to ur place to check the S/N ratio?

There is not much clarity on what channels will be available in which cities...and whether they will be offered as one big list or as bouquets (like DTH). There are a couple of lists mentioned hereand hereon IOL's webpage. No ESPN found in those lists, but they have mentioned it here

There is a dedicated thread too, click here.

anyway santosh if u get the iptv service do let us know how is the speed,image quality at ur place :)and also did the bsnl guys come to ur place to check the S/N ratio?

Finally, they came for installation on Saturday. As per the guy, download speed (Ds rate) should be 4 Mbps or more and the noise margin (Ds margin) should be more than 12dB. But at my place I was getting either around 3.5Mbps with noise margin of around 8 (+/- 2) or 5+ Mbps but with noise margin of

@santosh.
thanks for review hope it will be better after they change the line.

about websites that test speeds, i dont trust them because every testing website shows different speeds.
so just download a file say from microsoftWMV HD Content Showcase

download one of THE HD videos and see whats the speed is shown .note speed are shown in KB/s (kilo bytes).if u are getting at 4mbps then those HD videos should download at 512KB/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back