Bangalore - IPTV on 15th August ( With Rates from BSNL )

• Thread starter Thread starter Praks
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 43,701
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. What is the Internet speed here and downloading limit ? 2. What is the cost involved for the Browsing? 3. In Bangalore is it available everywhere?Where do I contact for IPTV in Bangalore

hey santosh, did they change your modem when they installed bsnl iptv? did they change it to utsar UT300R2U? if so.. do you use the usb interface? or do you have your own modem?

hey santosh,
did they change your modem when they installed bsnl iptv? did they change it to utsar UT300R2U? if so.. do you use the usb interface? or do you have your own modem?

No, modem replacement was not required in my case. I had already purchased BSNL's modem Huawei-WA1003A at the time of getting broadband connection. It can work as a router and has WiFi, Ethernet and USB ports, one each. So far I was using only WiFi connection for internet. Now Ethernet is connected to the IPTV STB, WiFi continues to be used for internet and USB is still unused like before.

@krishnakumar:

1. Internet speed/download limits will be as per your existing plan, or whatever you opt for in case of a new broadband connection altogether. IPTV is being offered as an independent package, it has no relation to broadband plan. However, both have to share the same physical medium and so if the bandwidth is not enough to accommodate both, you will see IPTV and internet browsing affecting each other like what I am facing. They have not taken any action on noise issue on my phone line so far. (If the things remain that way for long, then I am simply going to cancel IPTV!)

2. Regarding costing, since the rate plans are independent for browsing and IPTV, it implies that your browsing cost is not going to be affected by having IPTV or not having it.

3. I don't know whether it will be available everywhere, but it is common knowledge that if your residence is far away from your exchange then it may be difficult or even impossible to get enough bandwidth. Less than 2Km is good, 2-5Km may be OK, but beyond that I don't think it will be feasible. Check with them for official information.

Contacts for Bangalore: 22188700 (connects to the call center in Mumbai or so!),
25809990, 9844670329 (IOL- Bangalore proper:))

Hello Everyone I was searching for more information on BSNL IPTV and found this forum to be the best place. I registered immediately. A technician is coming to my place tomorrow to provide more details, but I guess this forum has more information than I can expect from tomorrow's interaction (or hoepfully not!) I am on the verge of deciding on either BSNL IPTV or Tata Sky in a couple of months. Going by Santosh's experience, the quality of signal in Tata Sky seems better than IPTV as of now. Can anyone let me know if there is any chance of BSNL's IPTV delivering DVD quality Video in the near future?

i am not sure if we have people here who have got BSNL IPTV connection...

Gururaj, I am having the connection for last month or so. Just so that you don't get misleaded, let me clarify that I have NOT critically watched Tata Sky so far. Regarding IPTV, my updated impression is that the quality is indeed far, far better than VCD and closer to DVD. It is more apparent on PC rather than 21" TV. Apart from the lower resolution/quality of TV screen, I suppose STB must be feeding an interlaced signal to TV, whereas on PC it should be a progressive. But there is a big IF- if the line is clean and it works smoothly. My line is noisy and due to that IPTV quality suffers as I had told before. The judgment above applies to the "best" experiences, which I assume should be sustained for normal lines (SNR more than 12-13db). Came across a couple of other people from Bangalore giving similar feedback on IPTV quality, in this forum itself.

Hi, I got the IPTV enabled and installed on Wednesday last. Today is Saturday, barring a 2 hours during the rain affected match (probably rain affected my IPTV reception as well) - my experinece with IPTV has been very good so far.I'm using a 14" TV - but reception quality is definitely far superior to normal cable. I have not seen Tata Sky - cannot comment on that. But have DD DTH at my native, and I'd say the quality is comparable.Installation was done and over in 25 minutes flat. Currently STB is using the Ethernet port on the UTStarCom ADSL Modem and I'm on wireless for browsing. In other threads, people have mentioned using VideoLan to watch it directly on PC and stuff ... need to explore those options.

Thank you Santosh and pmadhan for your feedbacks.

The technician hasn't yet arrived at my home today. I will update after my interaction with him (if he makes it today).

Which part of Bangalore are you guys put up and how far is your house from the exchange.

My house is around 800 meters from the exchange. So just wanted to know if it's good enough.

Also, is there a reliable way to know my bandwidth. The one on Dataone WebMail shows 1.88 Mbps but some other sites shows only half this speed or even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back