Best Unlimited Broadband - Mumbai - Coming from US Speeds

crashnburn_in

Regular
ISP
7 Star Fiber | Ex MTNL DSL / 7 Start Cable / VSNL Dial up | US ISPs
Hey guys... I've been living in the US for 7 or so years and I was looking into figuring out what would be the best unlimited broadband service in Mumbai / Bombay. I would be living in the Andheri area where in the past I've used MTNL DSL, VSNL Dialup (long ago), Tata-7Start Ethernet Cable Internet. I'd like a no hassles, reliable high speed internet package that wont have me PULLING my hair out when online. I've hated the 7star / Tata "LOGIN" pages. Its irritating to have to log in every time and on every machine in the house (our place has internal CAT cabling all through..) Thoughts? Advise? Options? PS: I surf a lot, download torrents (Linux Distros, OSX86 Distros, Windows Servers, MSDN, DVD ISOs, DivX, FLACs, Mp3s etc)I appreciate your feedback. I am also wondering why we dont have accurate numbers, surveys and reviews of ISPs using a DSLReports or SpeedGuide.net measurement mechanism. I did go an look at the SG.net stats for Bombay & then for Mumbai & then for Andheri.. etc. I am wondering how many actual samples / users info are those stats based on.

Well, first be prepared to lower your expectations because your broadband is going to be far lower in quality for the money you pay compared to the US ( and the US itself is behind Scandanvia,South Korea etc.). Secondly even by Indian standards, broadband options in Bombay are among the worst; in particular there is no BSNL and you get worse plans on MTNL compared to Delhi. Your best option is Airtel but it's not available in all buildings. Call their helpline and they will inform you whether it's available at your address. If you can't get Airtel your options are very poor. Tata Indicom has 256 Kbps UL plan for around 1000 p.m. and 512UL for around 2000. TI is what I use but it's been very unreliable sometimes so I don't recommend it.MTNL started UL plans recently but they are very expensive AFAIK. The other options will be small-time players in your locality but they generally tend to be unreliable.

I know I have lowered my expectations. :D. Trying to find what works best.

I know I have lowered my expectations. :D.

Trying to find what works best.

Airtel broadband should be your first choice.
Else go for MTNL.

You must be used to at least 10 Mbps, isn't it? :ashamed:

In my area:

Airtel: Not available yet.
Tata Indicom / VSNL via 7 Star - Ethernet based: Available but unreliable. Turns off at night and disappears at random times.
Reliance (via telephone A/DSL): Unlimited plans available. Hate the login page requirement.
MTNL via telephone DSL: Unlimited Plans available but double the price of other options. Does not require login page.
Broadband and Internet India: MTNL Triband Tariffs Revised Downwards

The above link says DSL prices have been updated but I called and they say its only applicable in Delhi. Dont know when the prices will apply in Bombay.

Any thoughts?

tata ethernet based is very unreliable as you said.airtel not being available, i think you are left with only 1 option, MTNL.but you will have to stick to 2mbps night unlimited plan. the unlimited plans are ridiculously priced for unknown reasons.see if you can ask the tata guys to give connection through adsl. i dont think its possible since it depends on area location, but you could try asking. tata adsl is more stable than their connections through ethernet.

in andheri, mumbai there is hathway. but thats only for people looking for cheap 512 kbps NU. but this is quite reliable in at least andheri.512 kbps NU - daytime 9 GB - 6 months - 3150 + tax @ roughly 590 / month256 kbps unltd - 3 months - 1750 + tax @ roughly 650 / monthbut the best option is to go for MTNL NU plan only where you will get 2 mbps NU - 849 + tax @ roughly 950 / monthdont go for tata

I am sorry to say that the broadband situation in India is pathetic. I've just moved to the US and I am on Comcast 8Mbps unlimited. Great speeds :) and no hassles. Very quick server. I highly appreciated it. Anyway, your best bet would be MTNL 2Mbps NU.

I would say Airtel, if having no hassles / fast turnaround time for a complaint to be resolved is important to you. 1Mbps unlimited is for Rs. 2222 + tax p.m.BUT if you are into online games, then MTNL may be better, as AFAIK (that is to say, others please confirm) MTNL pings are much lower than Airtel. (In Airtel, with Call of Duty 4, the lowest pings I get these days is around 280 to 300).

Back