BIG TV unveiled HD, DVR and 2 new transponders

• Thread starter Thread starter sivanbalaji
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 8,142

sivanbalaji

ISP
TI/Airtel
News from ET.BIG TV to introduce 60 new channels5 May, 2010, 1957 hrs IST, PTIMUMBAI: Reliance BIG TV, the DTH arm of Reliance Communications, on Wednesday said it plans to introduce 60 more channels, including its own entertainment channels, in the next three months. BIG TV currently broadcasts 236 channels. "We are planning to introduce two new transponders that will enable us to broadcast another 60 channels, including our own HD movie and entertainment channels, in the next three months," Reliance Communications' chief executive officer (DTH and IPTV) Sanjay Behl told reporters here today. He disclosed this after announcing the launch of Reliance BIG TV's High Definition (HD) and Digital Video Recorder (DVR) services. "Currently, we are utilising only eight transponders to broadcast over 200 channels," Behl said, adding that superior compression technology (MPEG 4) would help the company broadcast up to 35-40 channels per transponder. With 12 transponders in hand, BIG TV would be able to broadcast over 400 channels in the near future, he noted. He said that the company is also open to selling up to 20 per cent stake in the company to a strategic partner. "Through this, there is a possibility of FIIs (Foreign Institutional Investors) as well as other investors showing interest," Behl said.

Why cant companies update their sites when they release the press release???Anyone knows about the plans being offered?

5000 rs for activation charge of HD PVR and 2490 is for GSK(Normally one starting coupon). If you discontinue , you will have to return HD STB and no refund will be given to you.It's big cheater policy of Big Tv.

so they arent charging extra for the HD channels?the subscription rates will remain the same whether you are a SD or HD subscriber?I highly doubt that

I for one will be highly sceptical before purchasing this HD box from Big TV. I will wait and see if the same interface is carried over from their other STBs - if yes, than Anil Ambani can safely count me out from his BigTV subscriber list.

I asked Customer Care about the HD PVR. As of now they do not seem to have worthwhile information about the box (the info you will get from them is what you might have already read in the news). NatGeo HD will be for Rs 28/- per month, 160GB HD, upto 200 hrs recording etc... The CC guy said that the interface will be similar to that of the current STB (there will be more options of course for recording etc), but the big BIGTV logo will continue to remain (this is what I say in the BIGTV HD-PVR ads yesterday as well). Existing customers get a discount of Rs 1500/- (they will get the HD-PVR for Rs 5990/- as opposed to Rs 7490/-). As of now I believe it might be better to wait for Tata Sky to come up with their HD PVR, their interface is much more polished ; I personally am hoping that DishTV brings TIVO into India - that should be the ultimate PVR.

HD PVR which seems better option than tS & Airtel's PVR or SD's HD.

I just hope the interface is decent and I'll be sold!

Back