• Thread starter Thread starter skoka123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 5,442

skoka123

ISP
BSNL
Hi,

Which DVB-S2 card + CAM works with BigTV? I am currently using the output from the STB. I am tired of these STB lockups and changing of channels through IR Blaster on my HTPC.

I would now like to use Media Portal software to record in my HTPC. I would like to replace the Analog tuner card with a DVB-S2 card. One of the postives of this approach is that I can have one BigTV subscription connected to a Media Portal Server and then use cheaper (netbooks) clients to connect to different TV in other rooms. I can even watch different live TV channels on different TV simultaneously as long as they are on the same MUX. I can grab the EPG from the DVB signal.

I see from Lyngsat that BigTV uses Mediaguard encryption. So, I would need a Mediaguard CAM. Is this correct?

I am thinking of using a FireDTV S2 (digital everywhere - FireDTV S2 - digital satellite TV card for desktop, laptop and HTPC) with a Mediaguard CAM. Will this work? Is anyone using this setup?

BigTV is DVB-S so you dont need a DVB-S2 card.

Are you sure that BigTV is DVB-S? Isn't it MPEG-4? From what I have gathered DVB-S is only MPEG-2 while DVB-S2 is MPEG-4 and MPEG2.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Srikanth

Oops! Just saw that in the thread that you have referred me to, you have already tested it with BigTV. I would love to have this setup working with MediaPortal or SageTV.

I have two BigTV connections. I would like to put them in one HTPC and then use MediaPortal TV Server for recording. I would then have Client PCs in living room and bedrooms to access BigTV for both Live and Recorded TV.

I guess this is not possible with any of the PVR programs you are referring to liek DVBDREAM. Does it have a client only Media Center interface accessing a Server that is recording TV?

MediaPortal does that (and in fact it allows you to watch or record more than one channel at time as long all those channels are on the same transponder). Unfortunately, they do not support softCAMs.:frown:

What kind of CAM do I need for BigTV?

Thanks,
Srikanth

Hey don't buy a cam... no use... cuz most of the new cam's don't work properly with the DVB-CI PCI and plus Big TV has a AAC-LATM audio which is a big headache.. Use NEWCS with a CAm Reader if you want to watch it in multiple areas... Just that you need seperate dish to watch and a LAN network.. Plus its very stable.. I've used it for more than 24 hours + without any problems... Also Big TV will only work with Progdvb or DVBViewer with proper audio codecs...

Back