Black marketing of Reliance Jio SIMs

Do you mind paying a "service charge" to get a Jio sim?

• Yes

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters

Games Goblin

ISP
AirTel
Hi all

I was on the hunt for a Jio sim to test it out and had looked around a few shops on Wednesday - all were out of stock and told me to check back by Friday. I went to the same places today and the shops are asking ₹200-₹300 as "service charge" for giving the sim, I was like what! :rofl: - trust our people to come up with such shady practices!!

the employees at the reliance digital store I went to on Wednesday were least interested about giving out a sim and I could not get any info out of them other than a standardized reply of "check back with us after two weeks" - I couldn't even call them up to check availability of sim before visiting them - all the phones of reliance stores throughout the city are 'busy' during working hours.

Finally I gave in and paid ₹200 to get it from a shop near my home. I was thinking about how much money these shops are pocketing in light of this 'sim scarcity' - imagine if they move 10 sims a day at 200 a pop - that's an easy ₹2,000/- per day! And after I got the sim the shopkeeper was like "you want another one? we will have more in stock tomorrow" :giggle:

I guess it's the nature of human mind - once your mind is set on something, it won't stop thinking about it till you have it lol!

I figured what the heck, might as well save time and petrol by getting it rather than running around - if the connection works well, its ₹200 for a few months free internet - if it does not - a lesson learned.

The shopkeeper told it would take at least 10 days for activation - maybe more since it's festival season here throughout next week.

In the meantime, I was able to generate the code on two phones - I will keep my eyes open if some shop still give them out for free, so I can get one for the second device.

Cheers

i thought only reliance's own stores were issuing jio sims right now? i guess not.
another evidence of a botched up launch by reliance. they spent billions on infrastructure. but did not bother much about the last mile solution.
reliance digital stores which were supposed to be stores selling hardware products have turned into sim delivery shops.

i thought only reliance's own stores were issuing jio sims right now? i guess not.

Most local mobile shops are selling the sim cards. Most of the shops have even changed their main name board to one with a Jio logo, so it's easy to spot one when you are going past them.

@Games Goblin - Did you fill-up a form and give ID & address proof?

yes, I gave photo copy of my Aadhar card and one passport size photo. I did not fill up the form - they stuck the photo on the form and told me they will fill it up themselves. I read in some article that reliance has eKYC verification (apparently it can be completed in 15 mins) if you give Aadhar card as id proof - I am not sure if R-digital stores in my city have this facility

They have most probably some setting in Reliance Digital store and are making money together with some of their employees. Hence they took money which they will eventually divide between themselves.

It's Rs. 250 at my place.

After some time it becomes a ego issue if you are not getting the sim, and then you are willing to pay for the stuff which is supposed to be free.

Back