Breaking News - TATA SKY+ HD Booking Open. Booked My Connection

• Thread starter Thread starter crisp_tod
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 128
  • Views Views 26,071
Hmmm, based on your observation of 5 hrs = 2% we do not get an accurate number. Here are my thoughts on that:- Most software will not round off floating point numbers to upper or lower integers, they usually truncate them to the lower integer.- If that assumption is true, the 2% could actually mean anywhere between 2 and 2.99...%- Given these two ranges the HD recording capacity turns out to be anywhere between 250 hrs & 166 hrs.- If we take the lower range then also we get a SD:HD ratio of 3.7, which is quite good.I am currently using TS+ SD and toying with the idea of upgrading to HD. A bit hesitant due to the following reasons:- Initial glitches in the firmware (I had a very bad experience with the DishTV DVR when they launched it for the first time five years back).- Poor upscaling of SD channels, causing video artifacts.Anybody aware of the make of the DVR? If I can get hold of that information I can do some more research on the performance of the equipment in general.

Did some more digging around on the capacity part. Sky+ (not Tata Sky+) has launched a 1TB box, which can store upto 240 hrs or HD material.

1TB - Sky+HD 1TB Box

Since Tata Sky+ is tied up with Sky+, I am assuming both are using similar technology, in terms of file formats and compression, which means the TS+ 500 GB box should be able to do about 120 hrs. I think that should be close reality.

Purchased mine, waiting for the service engineer to come and set it up.

Got mine installed. Nat Geo HD is amazing quality. Star Plus HD is pathetic. Just an upscaled channel.Attempted to get a fair estimate of HD recording capability. I don't think it can record more than 70 ~ 80 hrs of HD.Recorded two HD movies from Showcase, "No One Killed Jessica" and "Tees Maar Khan". Each one was 199 mins, the remaining capacity was 92%. Based on that, this doesn't have the capacity of more than 72 hrs. Of course it depends on the recorded content itself. Rapidly changing content like movies will take up a little more space. Effectively there are only 2 HD channels by TS+.Nat Geo & Discovery. Start Plus is upscaled, doesn't count as real HD.Showcase HD shows one movie for weeks.Start Cricket HD & ESPN HD is idle most of the time except for special events like World Cup. Really bad!!! Anyone knows if TS+ has any plans to include Movies Now in its HD package?

i am also from chandigarh, but cc says no stock yet....................where u ordered plz?
Chandigarh is now included in the list of cities. Will place my order soon.

Placed an order last evening - paid by CC/IVR/OTP etc - should be getting it installed before the weekend :DWill post followup results after it's ready...

I have recorded few World cup cricket matches and it shows me 13% of total 500 gb for 8.5 hour recording

That is about 65 hours of HD recording capacity. Fairly close to what I saw as well. Not anywhere near 300 hrs of recording as posted earlier in this thread, or as claimed by TS technicians.Very sly of TS to provide HD hardware and specify the recording capacity for SD.

Installation was done for me last evening :) Nice new shiny black box. It has ethernet and usb ports at the back too, not enabled yet, reserved for future use - maybe Internet/media playback?The UI is not too bad, remote is the same as the old one except for the few new record/pause/play button area.HD channels look sweet ! (Discovery, NatGeo etc)... Now I'm trying to figure out how to add Cricket HD channels heh, will call the CC today for that !

Back