bridge connection connected .. but cannot share on network ...

• Thread starter Thread starter coolday
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 4,998

coolday

ISP
BSNL
Three systems are connected via hub and the bsnl broadband modem is directly connected to the uplink port of the hub. I have configured the modem to run on PPPoE mode ... and it is working fine and sharing fine in all the systems .... however when I try to use the bridge mode the net is available on only one system (4m the system where I dial). When I do a network setup

good to know. thanks for the update.

In PPPoE the modem acts as both a modem and a router as well. It authenticates and also routes request sent to it. When in bridged mode, as the name suggests, it acts as merely a bridge. It works only as a modem, forwarding your requests to the server, it doesn't route anything, as a result you can't share or even have the net working on a PC merely connected to it because that PC isn't authenticated on the ISPs server, to which the modem is forwarding the requests.You could try and use a proxy server on one PC that connects to the net and have all the data forwarded through it or just use the PPPoE mode.

In bridge mode, you have to share your connection(ICS) for the other machines to access internet. You're gonna need two NICs.

In bridge mode, you have to share your connection(ICS) for the other machines to access internet. You're gonna need two NICs.

I've connected the modem's lan port directly to the uplink port of the hub.. Now when i dial using the bridge connection net comes in that machine.. Now I think there should be a flow of net in the hub .... so net should come to the other systems ...

:confused:

Enter different IP address in each system.Please use simple sentences.What is the modem model ? the hub ?When I do a network setup .......... the sentence is incomplete.

Back