BSNL Broadband Agents? Please confirm if this is true

ISP
Airtel
Hi,I had sent an SMS to BSNL for a new broadband connection.Today the representative came to my house and collected the documents and payment.I felt that much of what he said was false, but I was in a hurry so I just agreed to whatever he said and gave him the documents.Kindly confirm if the following is true:He said that:1. I cannot get a standalone broadband connection. It is compulsory to get a landline too.2. I will get a WiFi router rent-free with the 750 unlimited plan3. The speed is 256Kbps and not 512Kbps4. It is mandatory to pay Rs.500 security deposit for the instrument for Landline. Even if I do not take the instrument, I will have to pay the deposit.5. The receipt for the payment is generated at the BSNL office and he will bring it to me later.So, he has taken Rs. 1750 (Rs.500 security deposit for Instrument + Rs.500 security deposit for Modem + 1 month tariff as security deposit) from me and has not given any receipt either. He showed me a bundle of receipts and said that he is going to deliver them today for payments received some time back, similarly I will get the receipt in 2-3 days.Kindly let me know whether these statements are true or not.I am in Jaipur, by the way.Thanks

I am not sure if BSNL has appointed agents for customer interaction. Let us take the agent is genuine, there is no need to pay anything before connection. All the expense will come in the first bill. 1. You need a land line. You can keep it as only incoming. 2. Wifi router cost Rs. 1800 + tax or Rs. 80 Per month rent.3. I am using UL 750. Speed is 512 Kbps.4. No payment required before connection.5. God only knows.

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response.

You have mentioned that I can keep the landline only for incoming. Is there any procedure for this, or should I just not make any outgoing call from it? :p

There was a tariff table on the last page of the form that he made me fill. It was mentioned that WiFi router is free with Unlimited 750 plan and the speed is 256Kbps. Maybe it was an old promotional offer. Anyway, Rs.80pm is not such a big deal.
I hope I get 512Kbps though

I have made the payment in advance too, for which he said I would get a bill within 3 days.

Also, I believe that the agent was genuine because I had sent an sms to BSNL through the steps mentioned here:
BSNL AT YOUR DOORSTEP---Udaan input page

I have not called or talked to anyone about my intention to go for BSNL broadband apart from the above mentioned sms. After sending the sms, I got a call from a lady who wanted to know my address and a time convenient to me when she could send the agent. The next day I got a call from the agent to tell me that he would arrive in the evening. So it is highly unlikely that this was some kind of scam. I may be wrong though :(

if you do not have to pay anything in advance... what's there to worry about?

That we do not need to pay anything in advance was said by meetdilip in his post. The agent has taken Rs.1750 cash and not provided any receipt. Kindly read the entire post.

Check with the local exchange. Plan vary in different circle. I think you can have a bfone which gives only incoming. Mere, not making call do not help. You should apply for an incoming only line. I haven't seen any offer like free BSNL modem. May be an offer only in your circle.

This is the last page of the form...you can see that it says "free modem on all plans 750 and above"
but it also says that the speed for 750 unlimited is 256kbps.

I guess I will have to check at BSNL's office to know whats actually going on...

http://img525.imageshack.us/i/14082010y.jpg/

Uploaded with http://imageshack.us

did the guy have bsnl id or something to prove u he was from bsnl . I wont pay someone if i cant confirm his identity

actually the agent arrived exactly when I was just about to leave with my family for a weekend trip...people were already in their cars and waiting...I just tried to complete the whole process as fast as I could...So i didn't verify his ID or anything...but now I feel that there are many loopholes...

Looks like you have a really good offer. Free modem will save you Rs. 1,800.

Back