BSNL broadband: Can't access websites while using a PPPoE connection

• Thread starter Thread starter LiNkEr
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 122
  • Views Views 108,492
Hi,
I got a new BSNL broadband connection last week. I am on NIB 2(ip 117.xxx.xxx.xxx). I am using Type 2 Utstarcom wa3002 router with my connection. The problem that I am facing is, I cant open or access certain sites like microsoft.com, mail.yahoo.com ,icicibank.com, link-removed.com etc.. Rest all sites like google,this site etc open normally.

What I did to overcome the problem

1).Tried OpenDNS, 4.2.2.2 and all DNS available from BSNL
2). Change the MTU setting to 1492 from 1500
3).Disabling the firewall of the router.

But still, there seems to be no change in the problem.When I called up dataone center, they were all acting like noobs telling me to change DNS and stuff like that:ashamed:. When I access the sites via proxy, they work fine and whats more, I downloaded VS 2008 from microsoft(3.3GB) without any problems, cuz I had the direct download link for that. Any suggestions that anyone would like to give?:)

Regards,
LiNkEr

Thank you for your concern. Yes I have tried open DNS 208.67.220.220 and also 208.67.222.222. But so far It has shown no improvement. Moreover my OS VISTA uses IPV6 also where I have no idea about this configuration. :wall:

yes. I tried opendns servers. but no effect..:mad:can someone tell me how to configure BSNL connection in Asus Express Gate OS ?

can someone tell me how to configure BSNL connection in Asus Express Gate OS ?
same problem here, doesnt work for me.

Program the modem as usual for Windows.
In Linux mode accessing Network TCP/IP etc different , I think. No idea.
Confirm working on Windows OS.
Got an USER manual ?
New motherboard and Express Gate OS is LINUX based embedded for networking etc.
ANY LINUX users to take up the thread ?

Details here.
Mainboard :: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe (Intel X38) :: www.hardwarezone.com.au Reviews ::
Mainboard :: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe (Intel X38) :: www.hardwarezone.com.au Reviews ::
Networking

* 1 x Marvell 88E8056 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet
* 1 x Realtek RTL8110SC
* Asus WiFi-AP@n Draft-N module (only on WiFi-AP@n models)

xisnu : seems we have the exact problem. Happens around JAN 2009 as well.. Sometimes the websites opened and sometimes they just wont resolve. I've tried everything i know change the MTU, opendns, link-removed also seems to be effected as well. Seems its bsnl problem??? Is there anyone else that face this problem i'm NIB2 117.xxx.xxx....

Well, the situation in Kolkata (North) West Bengal seems to be improving. I reported the problem to BSNL officials. They know that this is happening. So be assured that you cannot do much about this without BSNL. Hope your connection will be stable soon. :thumb:

hi all ,
i have successfully found the solution
it is Time Stamping Packets . instead of doing it via regedit it is easier done using SG TCP Optimizer ( it does appear to be more user friendly than Dr TCP ) ..
i have a Home 500 plan giving me speed upto 2MBPs . here are the steps i took -
go to Tweaking for speed - dslreports.com
take the test . it will prescribe MTU and RWIN for you . for me MTU was 1500 ( regardless that ping - f - l says 1500 needs to be fragmented ) and RWIN at 51120 and most importantly set MTU Discovery to yes and enable Timestamping Packets .
run SG TCP Optimizer go to Custome Settings and do as the test result above prescribed for you .
it is 24 hours since i did exactly as the test result said and it is running like Usain Bolt . i had a flash game site , VOIP call and Torrent all on at same time . fantastic 2 MBPs steady smooth speed and no packet loss in ping tests .
IMPORTANT - check the correct speed as per your plan ( the upper limit ) e.g 2000 or 256 etc both in the test and in in SG TCP Optimizer slider .

:yahoo::thumbsup::yahoo:

Back