bsnl broadband connection not working

codename_47

ISP
bsnl
hi friends, it's been 4 days since got my bsnl connection. somehow it's not working here are the facts:1: SCHEME : 900 unlimited2: MODEM : UT......( with DSL lamp)3: connection via ethernet card4:LEDs present : power,dsl,internet,ethernet,usb5:LEDs glowing(continuously) : power,dsl, (ethernet or usb)6:tcp settings : automatically acquire ip,dns and default gateway7:on modem page : default gateway field empty(if working this field should not be empty)8: tried both pppoe and bridging9:and now lately i couldn't take the modem page(even after reseting modem) and system tray icon is showing that something is wrong with the connection,10: can this be due to a virus? i've been looking forward to having an unlimited broadband connection and now i am goin crazy:confused: .please help

Welcome to Broadbandforum.in
Please see this website for your modem programming.
UT-300R2U ADSL MODEM MENU
Default gateway should be 192.168.1.1 VPI/VCI 0 and 35 entert Id without @ bsnl.in
Enter OpenDNS 208.67.220.220. and 208.67.222.222 In TCP/IP properties.

Para two : If still "no go" Start run type cmd type ipconfig/all and report back.

hi,Now I am once again able to view the modem page(I reconnected the eth card). But the problem i mentioned earlier still exists. More details are given below....1: SNR upstream: 17.1 downstream: 6.12: default gateway field in modem pafe still empty3: In modem page > diagnostics PPPoE_0_35_1 diagnostics test PPP server connection FAIL test authenticate with ISP PASS test the assigned IP address FAIL ping default gateway FAIL ping primary DNS PASS4:if i try to connect using a dialer it gives error 678please help :wall:

Did you see the web site link given ?

Modem Guide - India Broadband Wiki for BSNL VPI/VCI 0_35

In your computer open Network/Local Area network/Properties/ TCp/IP
properties.
For IP see below:
IN DNS enter 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222
Para two :Now in the modem select VPI/VCI 0 35 Open the WAN page .
and follow link given above.

Changing A Dynamic IP to Static

[*] To assign a static IP to your LAN card, goto Network Connections (in control panel).
[/list]
[*] Right click on 'Local Area Connection' and select properties.
[/list]
[*] Select TCP/IP properties over here. Now set your IP address to 192.168.1.x (Here x can be anything between 2-40), Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway to 192.168.1.1. You can use any of the DNS servers mentioned here, or choose to obtain them automatically.
[/list]Note: Bridge Mode might still work with DHCP server enabled in which case u dont need to change IP address from dynamic (assigned by router) to static. However, correct implementation of Bridge Mode requires disabling of DHCP server.
Now try.
if failure start/ run type cmd type IPconfig/all what it shows ?
Again check diagnostics

What i suspect(but not sure) is that there is some problem in the telephone line betn my home and the exchange.Can the problem be due to extra noise. That's why I mentione the snr above.But I want to check all the possibilities.
I have to say that I am not so familiar with some of the terms you are using like DHCP, Bridging etc.My take on bridging is that, instead of the modem directly establishing connection to the ISP, a program in the OS makes the authentication and connection.And DHCP i suppose is something in the modem that does the authentication and connection establishment etc without OS involvement. Am i correct?

Also can you please tell me how to disable DHCP server.
Another doubt is that am i allowed to use only the DNS servers mentioned here.
And can I use any ip betn 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.40 . Dont forget that I'm in kerala and so will there be any difference in these values?
And another thing is that, should i be making all these changes with with WAN and stuff , because the JTO at the local exchange told me that., only people having atleast minimum technical knowledge and more get these kind of problems and ironically people without any kind of technical knowledge dont have any kind of issues with their connection. Because everything is inbuilt and programmed ,so they dont need to do any kind of tweaking. My point is that ,wouldnt i be making it more complex by changing the WAN settings and all. wouldnt there be a simple solution.
I had earlier tried both automatic and static ips , in the TCP/IP setting .and it didnt work.
I am not able to show you the ipconfig output becuase i'm not at home now. and my connection is at home.but i can say that it displays the ip statically give in tcp settings,
it also displays the defsult gateway ie 192.168.1.1.

you can use any dns.. but dns mentioned in that link would work better.. using other isp's dns servers can slow u down..to disable dhcp server go to http://192.168.1.1 type username and passsword as admin .. go to the DHCP tab and disable it there

Back