• Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 3,907

sony2010

ISP
bsnl
Hello everybody,

I m planning to buy a laptop, so need your suggestions for below questions:

I have:
Desktop with in-built nic/ethernet (not wireless).
Bsnl broadband connection with UT starcom modem/router.

I want to:
Connect my laptop with my desktop & also to broadband wirelessly.

Questions:
1. While buying laptop, what should i keep in mind? Only wi-fi modem (in-build in laptop) is enough or something more is needed?
2. I will have to purchase wi-fi modem/router from bsnl, so should i surrender my current modem/router or i will still need it for broadband connection?
3. For wireless lan connection with laptop, i will have to purchase wireless lancard for pc? or the bsnl wi-fi modem/router will do this work?

Any other sugesstions too are welcome.

Thanks in advance for replies.

you can either buy a wireless car for your desktop or connect it with wire to the wireless router provided by bsnl... wireless routers do have wire connectivity options...

Upvote 0
Get a wireless modem from BSNL (exchange with current modem)Connect ur desktop to new modem via cat5 cable.Connect ur laptop to new modem wirelessly. (make sure to use good authentication schemes)Make sure both are within same network IPs i.e. mostly 192.168.1.X seriesthat shud be all.

Upvote 0
Mention make/model/number of present unit you have. 1.See sticky post for WA3002_g4 ADSL modem/4lan/wifi model. UNIT NEEDED. BSNL cost Rs 1600/= + taxes or on rent Rs 80/= P.MORan external WIFI router to use with present modem. ( Example Netgear WGR614 V9 etc cost will beRs 1500 to say Rs 2500?=)2.Laptops, may have INBUILT ethernet card and also Wireless Lan card. Check it outORSome laptops have provision to plug a WLAN card either in right side or left side of laptop. Buy a card. ( Cost about Rs 1000/=3. For Desktop also you get a WLAN PCI card Cost about Rs 1000/=

Upvote 0

Back