BSNL Broadband: Which "Type" modem for Wi-Fi ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Aman27deep
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 14,509

Aman27deep

ISP
Bsnl
I am applying for a new BSNL broadband connection.. I have a few Wi-Fi gadgets (Nintendo DS, PSP and a Laptop, + of course my pc), i was wondering what type modem should i get so i can conenct all those devices at a time, AFAIK there are 4 types of BSNL modem.Thanks please reply soon, have to apply for it tomorrow. :happy:

Either of the ADSL-WiFi options, probably the ADSL-WiFi2 unless you think you might take up the as-yet-unreleased voice-over-broadband service.

I think it is free if you take a 12 month contract, 1600 to buy, or you can rent it from something like Rs80 per month New Page 3.

Otherwise, you are free to buy your own ADSL router - there are many in the market. I'd go for Linksys gear myself, otherwise D-Link is also good, so long as the model number does *not* carry a +... so for example the DWL602 is OK, but the DWL602+ is not.

By the way, did anyone else notice BSNL is apparently doing VDSL (16 and 24Mbit/s plans)? Prices similar to Airtel's - 4500 gets you 75GB, 5k gets you 110GB and 10k gets you 220GB... bit more expensive than MTNL but the data caps are higher.

I'm sure I've seen these before but now for some reason they seem noteworthy.

I feel paying Rs 80 per month in the bill is better as if something happens to it they'll replace it for free right? BTW im applying for the UL 750 plan..

I feel paying Rs 80 per month in the bill is better as if something happens to it they'll replace it for free right? BTW im applying for the Unlimited 750 plan..

I'm quite sure that's the case... for the first year, at least. After that, you might be out of luck. Other BSNL customers would be better to confirm this than I.

I don't think it should really matter what plan you're on - just make sure they give you the modem you ask for.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Of course, I say the first year only because I think that would be the warranty period.

Hmm okay thanks, but it brings me back to my First question, Which modem is it (the best wi-fi one?)

1, 2, 3 or 4?

Hmm okay thanks, but it brings me back to my First question, Which modem is it (the best wi-fi one?)

1, 2, 3 or 4?

For WIFI adsl modem+Router+WIFI ( except type 1)
Wa3002-G4 or sl2-141 preferred. DNA A211_I ZTE ZXDSL 531B
all same.Old modem WA3002-G1 also may be issued. Choice is not yours.
Check "sticky" post WA3002_g4 in this forum.

BSNL Wireless modem routers are useless and of low quality. Purchase one of these:D-Link 2640T-IN Wireless-G ADSL2+ Modem Router D-Link 2640U Wireless-G ADSL2+ Modem RouterD-Link 2740 Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem RouterLinksys WAG120N Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem RouterLinksys WAG160N Wireless-N ADSL2+ Modem RouterLinksys AM300 ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem + Linksys WRT120N/WAG160N Wireless-N RouterCOST 3000-5000 INR approx.

@essbebe @dcosmopolitan Didn't either of you read the original request? He wants to know which of the BSNL supplied modems to get... for some reason.

The answer is "whatever BSNL supplies according to ADSL-WiFi2"

The ADSL-WiFi-TA has additional phone features (presumably VOIP), the first modem doesn't have WiFi and the remaining option is for VDSL. The choices can be seen here http://bsnl.co.in/service/bbtariff/initial.htm and no brand names are mentioned, so it's likely to be "luck of the draw".

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

Otherwise yes, any of the models suggested by dcosmopolitan would work well, I think.

@mgcarley
Thanks for drawing attention to latest classification of modems/routers by BSNL.

https://broadband.forum/bsnl-broadband/50052-bsnl-broadband-utstar-wa3002-g4/
Earlier it was type I II II and IV and in calcutta telephones web site
additional Type A and B are listed.
update:
BSNL BROADBAND MAIN MENU
Wa3002-g4 discontinued here.

1, 2, 3 or 4?

question ; ek do teen char /
answer is do teen or char for WIFi

By the way , i used Type I ( old classification ) Huawei AX Mt882 and Beetel 110BX1 and ZTE ZXDSL 831
AII for a Vonage VOIP without any problem/s!
will track the type of modems/wifi routers model number etc . BSNL supplies for" VOIP" .

ADSL: ADSL (Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line) modems are used for accessing Broadband through telephone lines upto speeds of 12 Mbps depending upon the distance and quality of line.

WiFi: ADSL / VDSL modems with WiFi are suitable for broadband access through wireless i.e. within the home or office. Customers using Laptop may opt for this modem.

TA : Using modems with Terminal Adapter (TA), customers will be able to make voice calls through BSNL server. BSNL is planning to launch this service shortly.

VDSL: VDSL (Very high Speed Digital Subscriber line) modems are used for accessing very high speed Broadband of 16 Mbps and above. Upto a distance of 1 Km VDSL modem can be used.

VDSL connection beyond my normal usage.

Back