BSNL has worst possible Routing.

• Thread starter Thread starter rohit267
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 7,822
Tier-2 city here, BSNL FTTH is pretty good. But their SYSTEM is shit. They'll ask you to come to their office for everything

From a village/(extreme more like mountains) area, initially, they planted a fiber line for a government office here, but the government office still doesn't have a connection XD
what I did is I bought a 4-pair fiber cable around 2 KM from that underground fiber end to my house, and I called LCO. got some guy as labor and planted the cable through electricity poles,
bought a cheap EPON router, created an account with a PAN from LCO, connection got activated in like 5 hours

599 PLAN, SPEED 60 Base I get 70/80 DOWN and UP
Routing: Absolutely Random, out of 1/5 or 3/10 I'll get the best route possible, as you just disconnect and reconnect your auth to the server ( by restarting the router or through the GUI of the router connect/disconnect) once you get it tho it's flawless
another alternative is VPN: I use NordVPN (Netherlands) for the best connectivity as I play on certain server ( I play lol on EUW )
my ping without restarts ( 220 ms ) 0PL
ping after looking/locking for the best route ( 130 - 140 ms ) 0PL
after connecting to Nord ( 119 - 125 ms) 0PL
at night (I just prayge ) I gave up playing at this time ( random PL and teammates flames :sadge)

another thing I noticed is that BSNL downtime is mostly caused in my area due to some random fiber break, ISP timeout was really less so that's good,
most I stayed without connection: 7 - 8 days, (fiber cut), from BSNL: no issue

at night speed reduces to around 4-5 mbs but that's understandable, it stays for around 2-3 or more hours then all back to normal.
I have no ISP here, technically BSNL doesn't provide either, I just found a loophole in 10KM radius I'm the only user here,

alternatively, I worked with Uniqiti before, so before BSNL I had an entry point set where the internet was accessible and sent myself data from there
some local services: Swastik Broadband,

but hey for 707+- total I am not complaining shit, it's like amazing to even have access here lol.
I researched and found out that LCO's server PON ports are so free only 400-500 connections, I had a power issue but it got solved after changing back to a different port from -29 to -21 to -19 to -15 now,

p.s Just try to adjust a little, restart, or someshit. it's a country still in development, we can't cry over every little thing, as a taxpayer and service payer yea you should get the best possible service they offer I get that, but it's not always rainbows, right?

@rohit267
From this forum and reddit, some users are happy with bsnl, but they represent small fraction of wireline userbase.

I began using their service in January 2023 and terminated it this month; they had previously assured me that new upgrades would enhance the service. The total downtime this month exceeded a week, occurring over 10-12 instances. The longest outage lasted 48 hours, followed by another at 25 hours, with additional outages ranging from 4 to 10 hours.

BSNL service engineers never visited for maintenance. The Local Cable Operator (LCO) was only helpful during the loss of ONT; otherwise, he was of no use. BSNL local JTO was only good for assurances, other than that he never solved any of my issues. He mentioned that hardware overheating, maintenance, or switching to backup power were causing these drops. I would reboot the router and modem to ensure the problem was not due to my devices.

I reside in a tier-3 city of Guna district/Gwalior division in Madhya Pradesh. So, a wire cut in Gwalior or Guna leads to service interruptions for us. There should be some level of redundancy.

Like many telecom companies, BSNL employees register false leads to inflate their service stats. But they do it for every complaint. If we go by their stats, all of my complaint in past year were resolved within an hour or two.

Common problems I've faced were:
Packet drops
Connection drops of short period
Wire cut every week or two.
Public wan address changes in less than 24-hour period, which disrupt connection.
Less common was speed throttling.

Last edited:
Is there any improvement in routing after the new BNG update ?
Is anyone using warp+/zero trust on BSNL ftth how is the routing and performance?

Back