BSNL HotSpots including one that let you use your home broadband data on the move

• Thread starter Thread starter nitinmits
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 1,592

nitinmits

I got banned!
ISP
BSNL
BSNL is providing wifi hotspots by installing routers on their towers. 3 AP available Bsnl 4g plus, Bsnl wifi and Bsnl broad Fi. Bsnl broad fi deducts data from your existing broadband plan. Both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz available. See image it is available in small town Pipariya in MP.
20IiUYI.jpg

myrqL4l.jpg

myR0fIj.jpg

This has been available for a long time (6 months or maybe even a year now) near my home but even with a clear line of sight to the tower, the wifi reception isn't great and I can't get above 20 Mbps even on 5ghz.

good way to use same broadband plan in two places. In second place you need an outdoor wifi receiver for good speed.
But knowing bsnl no guarantee it'd work after making the investment.

I don't know how you can use a WiFi recieved or repeater because to connect to broadfi, you need to enter your broadband credentials in the advanced section of the dialogue box which usually pops up for you to enter WiFi network password on a smartphone. I don't see any similar setting when connecting to it via a repeater and hence it throws up a error when trying to connect.

These are all the WiFi networks BSNL deploys at a single location.

tMSvEDW.png

The Google station WiFi is new and has been available for a couple of months. It is totally free to use unlike other BSNL hotspots. The only catch is you get 30 minutes at a time and need to reverify after that or watch a ad (it's Google after all) to add another 30 minutes.

The speeds vary greatly but I've never seen more than 10 to 20mbps in my limited testing.
I tested the Google Station WiFi when I took this screenshot and it was even worse with just 1 bar of WiFi signal and max speeds of around 4mbps. (This is with direct line of sight to the AP with distance of around 50 meters between client and AP).

Back