Can anyone suggest a good broadband service in South Kolkata?

• Thread starter Thread starter avirup2008
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 7,523

avirup2008

ISP
Wishnet "Power"-1Mbps Unlimited
I live in Ganguly Bagan, South Kolkata and at present I am stuck with the broadband provided by my local cable exchange which take it from extremely crappy Net4India.com. The speeds are horrible regardless of me being on a 256 kbps unlimited plan. The speedtests show only 144 kbps as the download speed, and torrent speeds usually vary between 10-15 kB/s , going as low as 4-5 kB/s during simultaneous surfing.:frown::frown:Downloads through IDM from external links give around 16-19 kB/sWorst is, the line is buggy and the major speedtest site is blocked by them. I assume they are also capping me since I fall among the category of their "heavy" downloaders.:madness:I am at my wits end out here, and I would love to take a new connection which can offer me dedicated high speeds say 512 kbps or 1 Mbps at a decent price. I don't mind crossing the 1000-1200 rs tag.I was so excited about Airtel and called up about the 1299 Turbo plan only to find out there is no connectivity in my area.:icry::icry:BSNL broadband reports are mostly negative, so I am not considering it as an option.Can anyone please guide me on what my best unlimited high speed broadband option would be? I really need to change my present ISP:S:SAny help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance:urock::urock:

I was so excited about Airtel and called up about the 1299 Turbo plan only to find out there is no connectivity in my area.:icry::icry:

If you can manage to whip up support in the form of prospective Airtel customers from within your locality, and then give a call / visit their office, I am sure Airtel would give a serious thought to it. It happened with my friend; he and some of his neighbours expressed joint interest in getting an Airtel connection, and the technicians were dispatched to their area. :thumb:

If that doesn't happen however, BSNL is really your only other option. From whatever I have heard, their product is good assuming it is installed right the first time - which they usually do. But do not expect anything called customer service from them. So what to do in case of issues? Most times, I am told, being patient and not calling them up helps. The issues [most of them] get fixed automatically. Their technicians are not the smartest on earth, and are therefore more prone to cause damage to your line than otherwise.

The Airtel representative told me that the lines would be installed in our area in about 2 months. So I am confused on should I wait or not.Waiting is terrible considering my present circumstances but the BSNL reports in our area has been equally bad:isorry:Btw, its getting worst with my ISP. Torrent speeds as low as 0.7 kB/s:frown::frown:

trust me. the reliability factor that comes with airtel is yet to be matched by any other company in the country.

I know...that is why I wanted it so badly:icry::icry:Down with evil Net4India:@:@I have complained so many times and each time same reply-"We are doing rewiring and issue would be fixed soon." Do they think all their customers are computer nOObs?:frown::frown:Do I have any other option apart from BSNL...anything??Can anyone based in Kolkata help me:icry::icry:

Considering you really want to move to some other ISP.. Why dont u try Reliance or TATA Net connect.. You can use it till Airtel comes in ur area..

I was initially on Tata before I moved on to my local cable a year ago. Tata plans are too expensive isnt it?:oI have no idea about Reliance.Are the speeds good and the tariffs reasonable? Does it also have connectivity restrictions like Airtel?:(Initially our cable took from Alliance, which despite a horrible customer service sector, provided exact speeds according to package. There was an argument between the two as Alliance withdrew from our area and our cable replaced it with the evil Net4India.com:isorry::isorry:How is Meghabala Broadband? I often heard that they draw their connections directly from Airtel, but then why are their plans different from the Airtel plans? Also, any idea about their area covered, as the select region tab did not work for me on their website. Is it working for anyone else?:ashamed:

is Airtel now available in Ganguly Bagan. I am moving in to the Orbit City, Flats, above the Big Bazar Mall.
I have a BSNL 512 kbps (now 1 Mbps) and JS Boradband (J S Broadband) 2 Mbps in Patuli and I am happy with it.

If Airtel is available near Orbit City, Ganguly Bagan, I will take the 2 Mbps line. If not, than what are my options there ?

Back