Can I use MTNL WIFI modem for my situation?

• Thread starter Thread starter powerontop
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 4,014

powerontop

Regular
ISP
MTNL
Hi, I currently use wired connection with DSL_888_ULTD plan with a Desktop at home. My landline is streched from Hall to Bedroom first into a splitter and then telephone line goes back to hall where telephone instrument is kept. Now coming to main part, I recently bought an android and also sometimes I need to use office laptop at home. So my requirements are:1. Assuming I get WIFI modem that MTNL will gives in return of my current ASDL2 modem at the current place, can I connect the WIFI modem via network cable to my desktop just like current setup since my desktop is not WIFI ready. I will use WIFI when browsing on mobile or when using Office laptop.2. Another situation I wan to implement to remove the headache of wires coming into the bedroom and going out and all that is to keep Wifi Modem somewhere in Hall and all devices(incl. my desktop via WIFI card) will connect to it. Problem is there are walls in between. The layout is something like this Hall | Kitchen | Bedroom where my Desktop lies.So as you can see above there maybe walls with doors only for entry/exit for kitchen and bedroom and so basically line of sight cud be an issue. Will this be ok for Wifi or WIFI needs line of sight like a remote control for TV works? Confused what to do :( Experts can guide.

You may opt for the usual MTNL Wireless Router or buy any third party products from Linksys/Belkin/Netgear. Subsequently since the walls are obstructing the Wireless signals to pass through them you could have a Repeter {Wifi Range Extender} with 300N+ for getting more signal strength. For Repeter you may opt for either Netgear or Belkin both are pretty good in giving more signal.And the same is want I have done :)

Then Option 1 looks ok, as I dont think I would like to have repeaters fixed at various places in hall & kitchen which will also need to be placed near electric point creating problems all the more. So can I confirm that a WIFI router does have a facility to be connected, via a network cable, to desktop computer just like a regular ADSL modem? in addition for other devices to be connected to it via WIFI?

Back