Choosing a 4G LTE Router for VI

• Thread starter Thread starter RohanAK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 3,740
ISP
Wired: Udupi Fastnet Franchisee
Wireless: Airtel
Hello everyone, I hope this finds you in good health.

To be short about this, I'm looking for a 4G LTE modem/router to have installed at my home so that I can have it act as the gateway to the VI LTE network.
I recently had my home (Karnataka) surveyed by the company's signal testing team who claimed that the place my home is in has excellent coverage area, and had shared the detailed they collected to me too (it was two snap shots where one is the signal strength and other related data while the other is just an Ookla speedtest readings). The information provided seemed promising (of about 30mbps which I reckon I can improve to 50 mbps if I do the placing of the router well inside my home.

I tried finding for suitable routers but I'm concerned of LTE band support since I've read a few posts here that warn about VI using non-common bands(?) which aren't usually found in all phones, and I'm concerned that this might also be the case with 4G LTE routers as well.

To anyone asking why I didn't go for a wired connection. My home's quite far from any worthwhile wired broadband local/large ISP in my locale, and they decided not to lay cables seeing that it isn't cost effective to have them installed and my neighbours are rather content with using wireless mobile internet.

Also, to add any information which might interest anyone. I've been wanting to have a stable broadband installation done as I am interested in building a home network, and it is easier if the home network has a gateway to the external network as well instead of having two separate networks with one being only for the local devices and another just for me to use the Internet with.

TLDR; looking for a 4G LTE modem/router that can handle stable connections to VI's LTE network that is in Karnataka.

Solution
Back here again to wrap things up after a seemingly 2 month silence on this thread.

If you want the TL;DR version: I found a newly established wired broadband that agreed to provide a fiber connection over to me home, so that comes to an unsurprising halt to the search for a LTE router with CA support.

The long version:
After the initial host of posts that transpired in this thread, I decided to go just randomly searching through the list of vendors that just exist on this planet. That means going through this Wikipedia list. The search was long and arduous, given that most vendors don't seem interested in manufacturing of LTE/Sim support for router devices (but made easy by the simple fact that most vendors in India don't...
In general, They use 1+41/3+41 and recently started Band 8.
I don't know which LTE modem will be best for this but I will just say don't buy the TP-Link stuff available here. MR400/MR600 and so on.

Try to find some thing from Huawei.

Upvote 0
I got the 23A (which has fewer bands) unfortunately :/, but with cell tower locked with Band 3 i got 12-20Mbps on Jio with internal antennas.

Upvote 0
@JB701 Cool. I use E3272s (I think? non-Hilink) I get pretty much same 10-20 Mbps with internal antenna (it can probably perform somewhat better if it wasn't inside thick concrete cupboard).

B0KN2kG.png

Edit: Jio's perf (it was 1Mbps two months ago)
EXGm4w1.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mikrotik makes good outdoor stuff. Dealers name are given on the website based in Delhi and Bangalore. See if they quote the same prices as LTE modem. That can be used with existing router only

It's sad we don't have many models to choose from

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, I apologize for not responding soon enough to the responses here.

Regarding Huawei, I'd honestly have to avoid purchasing those because it seems unsearchable in the Huawei India page, Amazon or Flipkart. I'm willing to bet this thing costs somewhere in the $100 range and that easily means above 5k INR ignoring the probable import duty charges I'll also be paying for.

Wheatbread's pictures about their speeds on Jio and Airtel had me concerned at first, but I ran speedtest on my own PC to confirm and I saw somewhat decent speeds with it. To help clarify, I'm using a JioFi JMR 541 dongle (which I funnily just found out is completely wiped off from Jio's own online stores). Here is a link to a screenshot I took.

@shashankb I'll look into Mikrotik's array of products, and try to get in touch with a distributor in India. Perhaps that way has some luck. I'll see if anything comes out of this and try to update the same on this thread.

Upvote 0

Back