Comepletely confused about which wireless router to buy

• Thread starter Thread starter sandeepy02
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 3,220
ISP
You Broadband
Hi,
My internet is wired from you telecom and it works fine when I plug it in my laptop. However I need to go wireless on it so I have decided to buy a wireless router.
Query1:
I called their customer care and they mentioned that I can buy any DSL router. However none of the routers have DSL mentioned in their specifications, though few of them have ADSL/ADSL2+ mentioned. The ones which have DSL mentioned in their name have ADSL in its specifications.
Query 2:
Moreover the routers are being specified as with or without modem... which one am I supposed to buy?

I asked you telecom customer care, but they were not able to solve my query. Request your help.
Also will this router work with my uou telecom?:
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/tplink-300mbps-wireless-n-router/640560?pos=4;74#
Thanks in advance

If you are already wired, then all you need is a regular wireless router, without a DSL Modem built in. I would recommend a N300 type of router at the minimum, if your budget permits. Also check your range of wireless that you want and then choose a router accordingly.
Some choices are
TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com
Netgear JNR3000 N300 Gigabit Router - Netgear: Flipkart.com
Netgear N300 WIRELESS ROUTER (JWNR2000) - Netgear: Flipkart.com
Cisco Linksys E900 Wireless-N300 Router - Cisco Linksys: Flipkart.com
You can also go with the N150 models, but they tend to be a bit entry level in my opinion.

Actually I had a question on N150 v N300 - Do they really make much of a difference especially when its 1, max 2 devices to be used say across a hall and two rooms. Someone wanted a very low-cost suggestion, so I said for their setup 150 should do fine & helped them get one...

If you're using it only for internet, then no, no difference as such, given the size of the setup. For intra network transfers, yes, quite a bit of difference.

Do check area of coverage. You mentioned in 3 rooms. Spend upfront on a good wrieless router to avoid buying again in the next year or so. Just my 2 cents... from experience...

Its too late in this case, since I already got them one, they were not even that keen on getting that, I told them its cheap and convenient to have a router as they dont have to always use it like a desktop. Got it for them at around Rs. 900/-

I'm on the lookout for a modem myself... I want one that can assure me high speeds and less disconnection. I am currently using Beetel 450TC1 and I get about 6.4-6.8Mbps on it. With an older Beetel 220bxi, I was getting 4.4Mbps on the same line. I had disconnections yesterday every 10 mins for about 6 hours. So have renewed my lookout for a decent Modem or Modem/Router which will give me performance and uptime. Been scouring flipkart, Amazon.in past 2 days...

Back