• Thread starter Thread starter cleanstrike
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 7,515

cleanstrike

ISP
BSNL
Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum. Need some help from you guys to setup my 'net connection. SO TIA.

Heres the deal - Got my connection yesterday with a couple of old bozos from BSNL coming home and installing the splitter, modem general fiddling with phone lines etc. Once all that was done, they handed me a sheet of paper which had details like IP, Gateway and DNS details. The sheet also had instructions to put in all these details in the following manner.

Network Connections -> Lan Card -> Properties -> TCP/IP Protocol -> Properties ->

Once that was done, I should have been able to browse but I wasn't able to. The fellows who had come for installation could only blink as they didn't know the difference between IP address and Gateway (they were phone guys and well I don't know the difference either :) ). I then tried removing all the data I had entered and set 'Obtain IP automatically' and again I was unable to browse.

So after that, I checked up at this forum for some help and tried "ping 192.168.1.1" and I was able to ping the modem. So I guess my NIC and cable connections are all well and so should the modem be with all its lights ablaze.

After that I looked up a tutorial to configure the modem through the web-interface so I tried entering 192.168.1.1 in IE/FF but was unable to bring up the web interface of the modem. I checked as given in the manual and I did not have any proxy settings in the browsers. All I got was 'website found. Waiting for reply" in the status bar for about 10 minutes and at the end 'Page not found' error.

After that I read up the manual that was there in the CD that came along with the modem. It mentioned a method to connect to the modem via TELNET. So I tried that and was able to login into the modem using username - admin. But didn't know how to proceed with configuring it.

So after all that Ramayan, can somebody pleeeease tell me how I can bring up the web interface for the modem or configure using CLI. Or if I am waaay off and something else needs to be done. Please Help! :(

Reset the modem.then try again to access http://192.168.1.1

300R2U

@mrbgupta & essbebe, Thanks for the help. At work now, so will get back home tonight and try them out. Thanks again :)

Back